Using scratchbox and buildroot on PowerPC

I have a couple of questions about getting a scratchbox-based linux running on my PowerPC-based target. I am using buildroot (buildroot.uclibc.org/) to generate the root filesystem.

  1. Can I use my x86 linux development computer's native mknod to create /dev entries in the root file system for my PowerPC-based target, or do I have to use a PowerPC cross-development version of that tool?

  1. Do I have to manually figure out what modules need to be loaded and manually build the modules.conf (or equivalent) configuration file, or is there a way to automate this based on the kernel configuration file?

I have gotten the kernel to generate its startup messages on ttyS0, and it successfully mounts the root file system over NFS. However, it would then generate a message like "could not open console" (I don't remember the exact message). Using my development computer's mknod to create a /dev/console got rid of this message, but I am not sure if this is the correct way to do this.

After doing that, the kernel proceeds to run the init.d scripts. When it runs S40network, it generates a segmentation fault at /sbin/ifup -a, and I am wondering if it is because a required module has not been loaded. Would this be the symptom?

Thanks.

Gregg

Reply to
gb

Oops, I meant "busybox", not "scratchbox". I am using buildroot, not scratchbox, to generate the cross-development tools and a busybox-based root filesystem.

Gregg

Reply to
gb

Yes, no problem with that, my dev script does just that for a ppc nfs root on an x86 box.

Are you passing something like "console=ttyS0,9600" in the boot arguments to the kernel ?, how is your kernel loaded ?

Why not rebuild the kernel without modules ie. use built in network device drivers.

Cheers.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Wilson