Using scratchbox and buildroot on PowerPC

I have a couple of questions about getting a scratchbox-based linux
running on my PowerPC-based target. I am using buildroot
(buildroot.uclibc.org/) to generate the root filesystem.

1. Can I use my x86 linux development computer's native mknod to create
/dev entries in the root file system for my PowerPC-based target, or do
I have to use a PowerPC cross-development version of that tool?

2. Do I have to manually figure out what modules need to be loaded and
manually build the modules.conf (or equivalent) configuration file, or
is there a way to automate this based on the kernel configuration file?

I have gotten the kernel to generate its startup messages on ttyS0, and
it successfully mounts the root file system over NFS. However, it would
then generate a message like "could not open console" (I don't remember
the exact message). Using my development computer's mknod to create a
/dev/console got rid of this message, but I am not sure if this is the
correct way to do this.

After doing that, the kernel proceeds to run the init.d scripts. When
it runs S40network, it generates a segmentation fault at /sbin/ifup -a,
and I am wondering if it is because a required module has not been
loaded. Would this be the symptom?

Thanks.

Gregg

Re: Using scratchbox and buildroot on PowerPC
Oops, I meant "busybox", not "scratchbox". I am using buildroot, not
scratchbox,  to generate the cross-development tools and a
busybox-based root filesystem.

Gregg

Re: Using scratchbox and buildroot on PowerPC

Yes, no problem with that, my dev script does just that for a ppc nfs root
on an x86 box.

Are you passing something like "console=ttyS0,9600" in the boot arguments to
the kernel ?, how is your kernel loaded ?

Why not rebuild the kernel without modules ie. use built in network device
drivers.

Cheers.

Neil

Site Timeline