linux and rs-485

hello,

i need to write an application for an arm-linux sbc to interface with
a device over rs-485. it is just point-to-point communication and doesn't
use any of the multipoint communications ability of rs-485.

could anyone pls. tell me where i can find information about linux and
rs-485?

thanks in adavnce,
 Deva Seetharam

Re: linux and rs-485

Re: linux and rs-485

AFAIK, RS-485 is a hardware specification to be used on top of (e.g.)
V-24 (aka asynchronous serial interface). RS-485 can also be used for
synchronous protocols (e.g. HDLC). So I don't understand your question.
Could you rephrase more specific ?

Re: linux and rs-485

        Use the standard serial protocols that are used on rs-232 ports and
you will do just fine.  The RS-485 standard specifies the hardware that is
used and not the communications protocol.  RS-232 is more susceptible to
noise than RS-485 and RS-485 can be used over greater distances than RS-232.

Re: linux and rs-485

Get an RS-232 to RS-485 convertor from say, B&B Electronics at
http://www.bb-elec.com /.  Then write code that opens the serial ports
and does serial things like would using RS-232.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, Eason Technology

Site Timeline