Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2014/10/23/ubuntu-14-10-desktop-security-for-global-users/

Manufacturers of PCs have recommend Ubuntu Linux for their
PCs 30 million times over the last two years.

Ubuntu has seen amazing turn around of fortunes in the last two years.

Ubuntu 14.10 released with the same Linux kernel that can
run on ARM64 CPUs.

A lot of ARM64 are decloaking - expect massively powerful
computers out soon with minimal power requirements.
And Ubuntu will be there to run on them all :)

Even China now recommends Ubuntu Linux and 7 million copies
so far have been distributed.

It is highly likely that if Ubuntu is ported to
64 bit ARM then phablets with 128Mb eMMC, 2500x1600 screens would arrive
in large numbers to take China phablet markets to new heights.
For example, laser cutting machines, 3D printers, CNC machines could
all benefit from taking a Ubuntu capacitive touch tablet,
pasting it on to the machine, and all of a sudden you got
low cost PC (about USD 50) welded to the equipment to control it
at a far lower cost than any other competing alternatives.
All that the manufacturer of the embedded tablet needs to do
is ensure there is enough protected IO lines, USB, ethernet and wifi
to allow other PCs to connect, download software and the Ubuntu
do the controlling of the machine.

A lot cheaper than any other alernative.

This could massively improve the performance of CNC machines, 3D printers,
laser cutters etc as the tablet could contain a lot of additional
software (open source) that could allow editing of files, pre and post
processing of files, generating reports, adding a web interface
to the product and so on.

Tons of revenue for the companies that spot the opportunity and also
and governments in the Far East that sees the entire thing for what it is.

Re: Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu
On 10/26/14, 3:13 PM, in article lme3w.610167$O% snipped-for-privacy@fx31.am, "7"

And yet people in COLA insist that somehow MS stops this.

Amazing.

--
* Mint MATE: Trash, Panel, Menu:    <
http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE

* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?     <
http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA

http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA

Re: Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

No, they haven't. System76 might bundle Ubuntu, but manufacturers
generally recommend Windows. Lie #1.

<http://askubuntu.com/questions/21730/how-does-ubuntu-make-money .
Canonical itself says that Ubuntu isn't making money. Lie #2.

Define powerful. ARM is known as a processor architecture which has
minimal power requirements but performance is not something they're
geared towards. Lie #3.
<http://www.techtimes.com/articles/9033/20140624/nvidia-expands-arm64-support-now-ready-for-high-performance-computing.htm

"ARM64 processors may still have a long way to go before they can power
super-fast computers that can process a billion billion calculations in
a moment, but the industry has been seeing a burgeoning interest in
low-powered 64-bit ARM processors."

It's not exactly Ubuntu as much as it is Kylin. This is a semi-lie.

It's too bad that the majority of what you said is a lie and that it
will be a gigantic obstacle to that dream coming to fruition.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Of course. How can *free* OS make money?

--
Manjaro all the way!
http://manjaro.org/

Re: Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

Apparently "Slimer", a troll himself, is too stoopid to recognize
when President 7 is trolling.

--
Please forgive me if, in the heat of battle, I sometimes forget which
side I'm on.

Re: Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

What? Chris AssStorm admits that 7 is a troll?

Chris, are you aware that 7 won't reward you for your obedience by
parking his dick down your throat if you say such things?

You might want to post a retraction, for your sake.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Through donations and by selling an enterprise service the way Fedora is
doing. The problem is that the default iteration of Ubuntu wouldn't
appeal to enterprises anyway so donations are the only viable source of
income. Unfortunately, GNUslims tend not to donate. I do every time I
download, but pigs like 7 don't bother.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Slimer should try this one, kernel 3.16 is massive improvement
over 3.13 ...

I don't think that ARM's will reach desktop any time soon.
Problem is that on desktop you need performance, not power
saving ... On laptops, yes, perhaps...

Ubuntu all the way? ;)

--
Manjaro all the way!
http://manjaro.org/

Re: Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

This laptop is actually running kernel 3.16 under Ubuntu 14.10. I should
mention that this was directly upgraded over an existing installation of
Ubuntu 14.04. Under 14.04, I had a splash screen which displayed at
1360x768 and Firefox / Thunderbird loaded within two seconds. With
Ubuntu 14.10, the splash screen is no longer there (even though the
settings are correct) and Firefox / Thunderbird take a good ten seconds
to load up. The open-source GPU drivers seem to have improved though.

I think there might be a market for low-power laptops using ARM64
actually, something to compete with the Chromebook. For desktops, forget
it: they're dying anyway.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

In the Far East, 2GB RAM + 8GB eMMC quad core PCs are as good as
slow PCs of 5 years back. They boot in 20 seconds and can
run most major packages at modest speed.
The 64 bit may change all that to even faster PCs with
near instantaneous response.

With 64 bit in the works, the graphics will also get overhaul,
but it probably has to be a separate chip from the ARM.

To give an example, the NVidia chips in Atom netbooks
were about 4x the size of the Atom CPU.

But then again, when the documentation does get released,
the drivers do get made. Raspberry pi can play quake
reasonably well on low res screens.

Re: Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

Recommending any OS 30 million times (Where's your data to prove this
odd fact??) is not equal to shipping 30 million

Maths comprehension failure by 7 again.

Re: Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

Abdullah "7" Siddiqui isn't capable of telling the truth. If there
aren't at least five enormous lies in any of his posts, he doesn't
bother to click on "send."

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter