Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

Ubuntu 14.10 released - 30 million PCs shipped with Ubuntu

Manufacturers of PCs have recommend Ubuntu Linux for their PCs 30 million times over the last two years.

Ubuntu has seen amazing turn around of fortunes in the last two years.

Ubuntu 14.10 released with the same Linux kernel that can run on ARM64 CPUs.

A lot of ARM64 are decloaking - expect massively powerful computers out soon with minimal power requirements. And Ubuntu will be there to run on them all :)

Even China now recommends Ubuntu Linux and 7 million copies so far have been distributed.

It is highly likely that if Ubuntu is ported to

64 bit ARM then phablets with 128Mb eMMC, 2500x1600 screens would arrive in large numbers to take China phablet markets to new heights. For example, laser cutting machines, 3D printers, CNC machines could all benefit from taking a Ubuntu capacitive touch tablet, pasting it on to the machine, and all of a sudden you got low cost PC (about USD 50) welded to the equipment to control it at a far lower cost than any other competing alternatives. All that the manufacturer of the embedded tablet needs to do is ensure there is enough protected IO lines, USB, ethernet and wifi to allow other PCs to connect, download software and the Ubuntu do the controlling of the machine.

A lot cheaper than any other alernative.

This could massively improve the performance of CNC machines, 3D printers, laser cutters etc as the tablet could contain a lot of additional software (open source) that could allow editing of files, pre and post processing of files, generating reports, adding a web interface to the product and so on.

Tons of revenue for the companies that spot the opportunity and also and governments in the Far East that sees the entire thing for what it is.

Reply to
7

And yet people in COLA insist that somehow MS stops this.

Amazing.

--

  • Mint MATE: Trash, Panel, Menu:
  • Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?

No, they haven't. System76 might bundle Ubuntu, but manufacturers generally recommend Windows. Lie #1.

. Canonical itself says that Ubuntu isn't making money. Lie #2.

Define powerful. ARM is known as a processor architecture which has minimal power requirements but performance is not something they're geared towards. Lie #3.

"ARM64 processors may still have a long way to go before they can power super-fast computers that can process a billion billion calculations in a moment, but the industry has been seeing a burgeoning interest in low-powered 64-bit ARM processors."

It's not exactly Ubuntu as much as it is Kylin. This is a semi-lie.

It's too bad that the majority of what you said is a lie and that it will be a gigantic obstacle to that dream coming to fruition.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Recipient of overwhelmingly positive reviews among the GNU/Linux advocates:
- "Low life at its best. But thats what you are. Worth a lot less than

- "He's a rotten POS." - Chris Ahlstrom AKA The Pee-Pee Wiper
(http://bit.ly/1wg0lkd)
- "He's a troll, that's his stock and trade." - RonB
- "Slimer is a filthy hater, liar and fraud IMHO." - Marti Van Lin
- "We know that it was the "Slimer", the shameless liar who takes pride,
apparently, in being a worthless trolling asshole." - chrisv
Reply to
Silver Slimer

Slimer should try this one, kernel 3.16 is massive improvement over 3.13 ...

I don't think that ARM's will reach desktop any time soon. Problem is that on desktop you need performance, not power saving ... On laptops, yes, perhaps...

Ubuntu all the way? ;)

--
Manjaro all the way!
http://manjaro.org/

Of course. How can *free* OS make money?

--
Manjaro all the way!
http://manjaro.org/

This laptop is actually running kernel 3.16 under Ubuntu 14.10. I should mention that this was directly upgraded over an existing installation of Ubuntu 14.04. Under 14.04, I had a splash screen which displayed at

1360x768 and Firefox / Thunderbird loaded within two seconds. With Ubuntu 14.10, the splash screen is no longer there (even though the settings are correct) and Firefox / Thunderbird take a good ten seconds to load up. The open-source GPU drivers seem to have improved though.

I think there might be a market for low-power laptops using ARM64 actually, something to compete with the Chromebook. For desktops, forget it: they're dying anyway.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
www.silverlips.ca

Recipient of overwhelmingly positive reviews among the GNU/Linux advocates:
- "Low life at its best. But thats what you are. Worth a lot less than

- "He's a rotten POS." - Chris Ahlstrom AKA The Pee-Pee Wiper
(http://bit.ly/1wg0lkd)
- "He's a troll, that's his stock and trade." - RonB
- "Slimer is a filthy hater, liar and fraud IMHO." - Marti Van Lin
- "We know that it was the "Slimer", the shameless liar who takes pride,
apparently, in being a worthless trolling asshole." - chrisv
Reply to
Silver Slimer

Melzzzzz wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Apparently "Slimer", a troll himself, is too stoopid to recognize when President 7 is trolling.

--
Please forgive me if, in the heat of battle, I sometimes forget which
side I'm on.

Through donations and by selling an enterprise service the way Fedora is doing. The problem is that the default iteration of Ubuntu wouldn't appeal to enterprises anyway so donations are the only viable source of income. Unfortunately, GNUslims tend not to donate. I do every time I download, but pigs like 7 don't bother.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
www.silverlips.ca

Recipient of overwhelmingly positive reviews among the GNU/Linux advocates:
- "Low life at its best. But thats what you are. Worth a lot less than

- "He's a rotten POS." - Chris Ahlstrom AKA The Pee-Pee Wiper
(http://bit.ly/1wg0lkd)
- "He's a troll, that's his stock and trade." - RonB
- "Slimer is a filthy hater, liar and fraud IMHO." - Marti Van Lin
- "We know that it was the "Slimer", the shameless liar who takes pride,
apparently, in being a worthless trolling asshole." - chrisv
Reply to
Silver Slimer

What? Chris AssStorm admits that 7 is a troll?

Chris, are you aware that 7 won't reward you for your obedience by parking his dick down your throat if you say such things?

You might want to post a retraction, for your sake.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter
www.silverlips.ca

Recipient of overwhelmingly positive reviews among the GNU/Linux advocates:
- "Low life at its best. But thats what you are. Worth a lot less than

- "He's a rotten POS." - Chris Ahlstrom AKA The Pee-Pee Wiper
(http://bit.ly/1wg0lkd)
- "He's a troll, that's his stock and trade." - RonB
- "Slimer is a filthy hater, liar and fraud IMHO." - Marti Van Lin
- "We know that it was the "Slimer", the shameless liar who takes pride,
apparently, in being a worthless trolling asshole." - chrisv
Reply to
Silver Slimer

In the Far East, 2GB RAM + 8GB eMMC quad core PCs are as good as slow PCs of 5 years back. They boot in 20 seconds and can run most major packages at modest speed. The 64 bit may change all that to even faster PCs with near instantaneous response.

With 64 bit in the works, the graphics will also get overhaul, but it probably has to be a separate chip from the ARM.

To give an example, the NVidia chips in Atom netbooks were about 4x the size of the Atom CPU.

But then again, when the documentation does get released, the drivers do get made. Raspberry pi can play quake reasonably well on low res screens.

Reply to
7

Recommending any OS 30 million times (Where's your data to prove this odd fact??) is not equal to shipping 30 million

Maths comprehension failure by 7 again.

Reply to
Desk Rabbit

Abdullah "7" Siddiqui isn't capable of telling the truth. If there aren't at least five enormous lies in any of his posts, he doesn't bother to click on "send."