common problem with Dell PCs

I have noticed a problem with Dell PCs but b4 I advice my boss I want to be sure. Almost all our Dell machines (both optiplex 240 and 270) 22 out of 28 machines are all having problem with the primary IDE. After trying to use the secondary IDE it also could not be detected. at startup the screen will say primary, secondary IDE not found or something like that. For one machine the CD ROM drive was detected but when it was unplugged and plugged later the machine could not detect it again. Is there a way round it? We've had this problem b4 all effort to repair them failed so they were discarded. I don't want to jump into conclusion as a company's name is at stake. Thanks.

Reply to
fynnashba

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Inscribed thus:

Check out "Bad Caps"...

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

The Optiplex 200 series and numerous other models have a bad reputation already, so go ahead and call them crap.

You would be wise to begin looking for replacement machines now, as the remaining models will most likely be failing in various ways, causing numerous work-related problems as they die.

These products, like most anything manufactured in recent years, are manufactured with low-cost components, and aren't built to have long operational lifetimes.

As Baron recommended, the Bad Caps website lists these machines as being one of the many machines that suffer from electrolytic capacitor failures.

I bought a used 3GHz GX270 a while ago for $40, just to have as a spare machine, and while looking up specs and motherboard features, I discovered that this model is also listed as a Bad Caps model. A short time later, I spotted a fresh refurbished m-bd from Dell for $13 on eBay. The refurb boards were stocked by Dell as replacement parts for early-failure Optiplex machines. I haven't actually put the GX270 to use yet, but I have it for a spare machine, just in case I'd need one.

One characteristic of the GX270 is that the PSU weighs about 2x more than a generic PSU of the same output rating.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

A study by Dell found that OptiPlex computers affected by the bad capacitors were expected to cause problems up to 97 percent of the time over a three-year period, according to the lawsuit.

I'll assume you mean Dell Optiplex GX240 and GX270. The various case size power supplies are a source of problems with these and other Dell units. In addition, some models have problems with bad capacitors on the motherboard. I've seen both. However, the symptoms of both problems do NOT resemble your description. What I see are boot failures and turn on/off problems before it quits completely. Ignoring the possible bad caps and bad power supplies, it sounds like you have a fair collection of bad hard disks and possibly one bad CDROM drive. With what information you supplied, I can't tell from here. Open the case, blow out the filth, and look inside at the electrolytic capacitors surrounding the CPU. If they are bulging or leaking, there's your problem. Also, try testing with a known good (new) hard disk to be sure it's not a HD failure epidemic.

I often rebuild the motherboards and some power supplies on these computers. Replacing 15 caps is generally not worth the effort unless you have the a vacuum desoldering station and a fair replacement parts collection. Due to variations in PCB hole sizes, some are easy to replace, while others risk damaging the board. My success rate has been about 70% which makes repair a risk. Despite all this, I still buy, resell and use Dell computers. Some are problematic, some should be avoided, but most seem to hold together quite nicely.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com