Recommendations for Linux-based SBC

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a handle on the current SOC/SBC options, but the marketplace is so vast and bewildering, that I'm hoping I can get a few quick recommendations of your favorites. We are developing an embedded system in the domain of mobile environmental monitoring and need to put together a proof of concept in December, so the components we are currently looking for need not be the most optimal for production (i.e. should be developer-friendly, but stil as small as possible). The requirements are quite straightforward:

1) Sample a set of environmental sensors with outputs in the range of 0-5V, hence we need an analog/digital converter (ADC) with, say, 8 channels and at least 10-bits resolution. (To me personally, the ADC component seems to be the critical hurdle.)

2) Get current position via GPS (this can be an integrated board, or one attached by serial port or Bluetooth).

3) Wirelessly relay data to collection stations using TCP/IP, preferably with Wi-Fi 802.11, but a GPRS interface would be an option too.

4) The system must run off batteries and some of the sensors we are considering need to be powered with 5V while others with 12V (for development we need not more than one day of runtime; the vehicle has its own power source).

5) All these components should be supported under GNU/Linux -- which embedded distribution and development environment would you recommend?

6) It looks like we don't need much horsepower... 200MHz will be more than enough, probably even a 486 will do (we are not considering wireless sensor motes at this stage).

7) For prototyping, anything in the range of 200-500 $USD can go...

So far, I have looked at Gumstix and PC/104. The former looks smaller and more interesting for our purposes... Any tips and insights will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

--
/dima
Reply to

I can pretty much recomment the systems from embeddedarm.com - the TS-7xx0 (arm based boaards) meet your requirements nicely, except perhaps the horsepower. And the price can't be beat - even with the 8 channel ADC you're still below $200 in single unit quantities....

If you figure this please let me know. I am looking for an affordable GPS unit... Ideally a serial (RS485) capable, one that can be queried.

Ditto for the GPRS; I would like to find an affordable board for this as well.

Standard Debian works well for me....

I like gumstix, but the price of their add-ons drives them out of sight for me....

Reply to
Captain Dondo

Hi there Captain Dondo!

Captain Dondo wrote: [...]

I checked their stuff and liked it a lot! Even the x86 boards (which I am more familiar iwith) seem OK for my requirements as there is an optional ADC unit.

I know little (yet) about RS-485, but stuff from sparkfun.com I was looking at seems affordable to me and probably there is a way to hook it up for your application. Check their GPS units here:

Same place, but a bit more expensive:

How small is your base OS (or how big is your CompactFlash)? Did you ever try with other embedded distros (e.g. EmDebian)?

Do you have any experience with their own distro (TS-Linux)? Does it support all included components out-of-the-box?

TIA! /dima

Reply to
dimadiall

Thanks for the link. I'll forward it to the guys working on the GPS end of things... (My job is just to make everything talk to everything else, including the operator....)

RS485 is a serial bus... It communicates much the same was as RS232, but you can have 32 units on a single serial port (actually more, but that's what the spec says) and it can be used for much longer distances. It only takes 2 wires, and is mostly immune to noise.

They provide a kernel and source which supports all of the stuff on the board. They also provide sample user-space apps for accessing various things. All in all it's a pretty neat package, and it works really well. I'm impressed so far.

I have not played with TS-linux, opting instead for the debian install they provide, along with the cross-tool kit. The cool thing is that they don't change more than they have to, so you can pretty much use anything you want with the exception of the kernel....

I like debian because it comes in every flavor you can want. We will probably port our stuff to x86 as well as ARM so that we have multi-platform support (our life cycle is such that end-of-life for ARM and x86 is a concern).

I am hoping to get my apps+OS into 8MB. That might be a stretch, seeing as I have to have RS232+RS485 support, a windowing system to drive a QVGA, communications with modbus equipment and propriatary PLCs, VPN, ethernet (both UTP and PPP over radios), two GPS units, a compass, a cell phone, a web server and a way to generate dynamic web pages, and enough smarts to generate the web pages for either a PC or a cell phone, SMS messaging, HMI with keypad and joystick support.... You get the idea....

Reply to
Captain Dondo

Yeah, I get the idea... Our app will be much simpler to start with -- read the sensor on regular intervals and upload data with location coordinates to server. Later it may get more complex, if the robot/vehicke is to be controlled autonomously.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. There are still many aspects to sort out, but your recommendation apparently will save my day!! /dima

Reply to
dimadiall

If you go the embeddedarm.com route, check out

. The engineers hang out there as well as the users.

Reply to
Captain Dondo

looks like a perfect application for a 10MHz Atmel to me

-- I really have no idea what this means. And since I can't install linux on it, I'm gonna go back to surfing pr0n. the penguins are psychotic / just smile and wave

Reply to
hackbox.info

How many channels? What is the maximum sample rate per channel? That would help to determine whether you need an 8 bits PIC/AVR or 32 bits ARM/PPC/X86. Do you ned FIR or FFT filters?

Reply to
linnix