Need clues :) Linux embedded board for audio processing

Hi,

i'm a total newbie to the world of embedded linux, so please forgive my ignorance. Any pointers to information are greatly appreciated.

What i want to do is to implement my own small multi-effects box. So here's what i think i need:

- Linux OS.. Can be MMU-less i suppose. I will only run a single program do do the audio processing

- FPU so i can reuse LADSPA plugins. I only need to be able to use the code from these. I don't need to be able to e.g. dynamically load them. Linking the plugin code in statically is sufficient

- Processing power in the 200 mhz pentium mmx range, as from my memory [from my olde cubase vst days] this was plenty to drive some select few audio effects..

- A way to attach a [2-line or so] character display of some sort

- A way to attach switches and expression pedals (which are basically potentiometers afaik), so i guess it needs some ADs for these

- Relatively hassle-free compiler tool chain, so i can concentrate on implementing my software and not fiddle with GCC

- A way to attach an audio interface, preferable 48 khz and 16 bit, stereo. Having an ALSA driver available for it would be awesome..

- RAM :) i don't know how much is required to run linux and the required application smoothly.....

I'm pretty clueless as to what classes of embedded boards might fit these requirements and what options there are..

If you have any tips, links to information, etc, please bring them on :)

Thanks and regards, Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org