mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

hi,
when we connect the pen drive in the windows systems it will pop-up
showing an external device is being connected.But in case of linux it
is not like that.we have to mount the pen drive.
how to mount the pen drive?
i havn't tried this .
can any body tell the sequence of commands to connect the pen drive to
the linux pc.

regards,
siva

Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

Dear Siva,

Kernel 2.6 automatically mounts USB drives. you can monitor the system
log file /var/log/syslog.
or plug in the pen drive, and visit /media. Most embedded linux
systems mount the thumb drive to this folder.

Sahasranaman
http://sahasranaman.com

Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

I beg to differ. Kernel 2.6 (if all the options are included correctly
[eg:USB, SCSI, Mass Storage ...]) will enumerate the USB stick on the
USB bus and will associate it with a SCSI device such as /dev/sda1.
First of all make sure that you have such a node on your /dev
directory.  Otherwise you will need to create it using "mknod /dev/sda
b 8 0".
Then you can mount this raw device in to another directory node on
your system using "mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /media/flash" where /media/
flash is your preferred mount directory.

Now that is the hard way.  Most new distributions (such as Ubuntu)
have automount tools (such as Udev) that detects device plug in and
automatically mount these to /media/.... or where ever.  Do a Google
search for automounting USB stick for your distribution.
And to conserve space, embedded devices usually don't have auto mount
tools.
Cheers

Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks Janaka

I use an embedded linux system based on cirrus logic processor EP9302.
It uses ARM-Linux and has automount. When I plug a pen drive on the
board, it gets mounted automatically at /media directory. Maybe it
would help if Siva gives us the details about the Linux distribution
he uses.

Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

Is your ARM-Linux distribution a vendor provided one (eg: from
MontaVista) or is it a distribution that you got from the vanilla
kernel from Kernel.org and configured for your platform ?  Just
curious as I have never worked with ARM linux (I work on PPC and X86).
As far as Siva's problem goes, yep we need more info on the systems.
Cheers

Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

Dear Janaka,

The disto I use is provided by Cirrus logic itself. Based on debian
for ARM I guess. But not exactly sure.

http://arm.cirrus.com/docs/2.6 /
http://arm.cirrus.com/files/index.php?path=linux /

And linux was preinstalled on the board I use.
http://spjsystems.com/sbc9302.htm

Hope this helps, but I don't have an exact idea about embedded
distributions yet. I've just started with it, and I have been
concentrating only on the application part till now.

Site Timeline