mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

hi, when we connect the pen drive in the windows systems it will pop-up showing an external device is being connected.But in case of linux it is not like that.we have to mount the pen drive. how to mount the pen drive? i havn't tried this . can any body tell the sequence of commands to connect the pen drive to the linux pc.

regards, siva

Reply to
siva

Dear Siva,

Kernel 2.6 automatically mounts USB drives. you can monitor the system log file /var/log/syslog. or plug in the pen drive, and visit /media. Most embedded linux systems mount the thumb drive to this folder.

Sahasranaman

sahasranaman

I beg to differ. Kernel 2.6 (if all the options are included correctly [eg:USB, SCSI, Mass Storage ...]) will enumerate the USB stick on the USB bus and will associate it with a SCSI device such as /dev/sda1. First of all make sure that you have such a node on your /dev directory. Otherwise you will need to create it using "mknod /dev/sda b 8 0". Then you can mount this raw device in to another directory node on your system using "mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /media/flash" where /media/ flash is your preferred mount directory.

Now that is the hard way. Most new distributions (such as Ubuntu) have automount tools (such as Udev) that detects device plug in and automatically mount these to /media/.... or where ever. Do a Google search for automounting USB stick for your distribution. And to conserve space, embedded devices usually don't have auto mount tools. Cheers

Reply to
Janaka

Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks Janaka

I use an embedded linux system based on cirrus logic processor EP9302. It uses ARM-Linux and has automount. When I plug a pen drive on the board, it gets mounted automatically at /media directory. Maybe it would help if Siva gives us the details about the Linux distribution he uses.

Reply to
sahasranaman

Hi, Is your ARM-Linux distribution a vendor provided one (eg: from MontaVista) or is it a distribution that you got from the vanilla kernel from Kernel.org and configured for your platform ? Just curious as I have never worked with ARM linux (I work on PPC and X86). As far as Siva's problem goes, yep we need more info on the systems. Cheers

Reply to
Janaka

Dear Janaka,

The disto I use is provided by Cirrus logic itself. Based on debian for ARM I guess. But not exactly sure.

And linux was preinstalled on the board I use.

Hope this helps, but I don't have an exact idea about embedded distributions yet. I've just started with it, and I have been concentrating only on the application part till now.

Reply to
sahasranaman