linux portng

Thanks a lot or your reply. All these days, I was not able to reply, there was some problem with my

login or so,,, not sure.

I have taken up ur advice and have dropped the use of uclinux. I am just using a normal linux kernel.

Well now that I have got my kernel image as vmlinuz-KERNELVERSION, not I need to create a bootable floppy to boot a dumb target that does not have Linux in it. I also need to include a small application. What should I do next?

I have also checked the grub.conf file... It has appended the lines for

the new kernel. The initrd-KERNELVERSION.img file is also present.

Which are the files I need to copy into the floppy? Should I format it as an ext2 file system?

Should I go for a compressed file system if I do not have Linux installed in my target?

Can i run a small c program at startup/ Will this be an entry into embedded system?

Please reply Thanks in advance Marshia

Reply to
marshiaa

my

not

not

You should forget about the floppy and go with a small flash drive instead. Especially for the newer kernel (2.4+), it is very difficult to fit anything usable on a floppy. If you need to include your application, I would recommend at least a 8MB flash drive. Flash drives are much more reliable than floppy and not much more expensive (approx $10).

Reply to
linnix

Thanks for the suggestion... I will consider using a flash.. But for the time being, I am able to fit in the kernel image and a compressed file system into the floppy. The only concern is it is not able to read te root file system(kernel panic) Moreover Im not sure whether I have included all the necessary files in the file system. Please help. Any small application(ready made) that u can suggest for testing purpose?

Thanks > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

with

difficult

Reply to
marshiaa

in

Not just the root file system. You need to include many run-time libraries for a mimimum working system. We had a tough time trying to do that on a 4M flash drive.

What does you target system do? Any GUI needed?

am

vmlinuz-KERNELVERSION,

does

What

expensive

Reply to
linnix

Thanks for the reply GUI is not required..... just any small minimal application.

Reply to
marshiaa