linux portng

Thanks a lot or your reply.
All these days, I was not able to reply, there was some problem with my

login or so,,, not sure.

I have taken up ur advice and have dropped the use of uclinux. I am
just using a normal linux kernel.

Well now that I have got my kernel image as vmlinuz-KERNELVERSION, not
I need to create a bootable floppy to boot a dumb target that does not
have Linux in it. I also need to include a small application. What
should I do next?

I have also checked the grub.conf file... It has appended the lines for

the new kernel.
The initrd-KERNELVERSION.img file is also present.

Which are the files I need to copy into the floppy?
Should I format it as an ext2 file system?

Should I go for a compressed file system if I do not have Linux
installed in my target?

Can  i run a small c program at startup/ Will this be an entry into
embedded system?

Please reply
 Thanks in advance
Marshia

Re: linux portng

my
not
not

You should forget about the floppy and go with a small flash drive
instead.  Especially for the newer kernel (2.4+), it is very difficult
to fit anything usable on a floppy.  If you need to include your
application, I would recommend  at least a 8MB flash drive.  Flash
drives are much more reliable than floppy and not much more expensive
(approx $10).

Re: linux portng
Thanks for the suggestion... I will consider using a flash..
But for the time being, I am able to fit in the kernel image and a
compressed file system into the floppy.
The only concern is it is not able to read te root file system(kernel
panic)
Moreover Im not sure whether I have included all the necessary files in
the file system. Please help.
Any small application(ready made) that u can suggest for testing
purpose?

Thanks in advance
marshia

with
difficult

Re: linux portng

in

Not just the root file system.  You need to include many run-time
libraries for a mimimum working system.  We had a tough time trying to
do that on a 4M flash drive.

What does you target system do?  Any GUI needed?

am
vmlinuz-KERNELVERSION,
does
What
expensive

Re: linux portng
Thanks for the reply
GUI is not required..... just any small minimal application.

Site Timeline