klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

I am using busybox 1.1.1 and a 2.6 kernel.

Is there a way to prevent klogd and/or syslogd from sending KERN_DEBUG
messages to /var/log/messages?

I have tried using the -c option to klogd and writing to
/proc/sys/kernel/printk, but neither of these seems to have any effect.
Are those just for controlling what gets sent to the console?

The log file is on compact flash, and I don't want to be writing debug
messages to it if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Gregg

Re: klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages
Hello,

If you can spare a bit of memory, you could create a ramdisk containing only
the /var/log/messages file.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Sebastian

Re: klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

Thanks, but I only want to eliminate the debug messages. I want the
non-debug messages to continue to be logged to flash.

Gregg

Re: klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

Alter /etc/syslog.conf to stop logging debug messages!

Re: klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

Unfortunately, the busybox version of syslogd ignores /etc/syslog.conf.
I had to disable the logging at the source level.

Thanks,

Gregg

Site Timeline