Kernel starts dropping incoming ping packets

I am writing a device driver for a modem. I can successfully continuously ping to my modem for 8 to 10 minutes. After that, I can no longer ping to it, but I can ping from it. I have determined that at that point I am still receiving the ping packets and sending them to the kernel, just as I had when the pings were successful, but I am no longer receiving ping packets from the kernel to transmit back.

Once it gets into this state, I have noticed that the "arp" and "route" commands take an extra long time to complete. Other commands are not slowed down. The "top" command does not show any extraordinary memory usage by any process. I am running Linux 2.6.10 on a PowerPC processor. Any suggestions as to what may be going on?

Reply to
Bill

The kernel thinks you're a DOS attack?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

an

There might be an configuration which if enabled could respond to a DOS attack. However most of the public servers are pinged contineously by many network operators and i havent seen a situation where in the ping response is not sent back as described. I would try to see if the IP is lost during this process.

How is the network set up? How did u determine you have received a ping packet? I would also use network analyzer to detect the messages on the network. There are free analyzing software online which you could use.

Reply to
suresh shenoy

PROBLEM SOLVED. I was not freeing the TX socket buffers after transferring the data out of them.

Reply to
Bill