java + linux + arm - bytecode question

Hi folks

Thanks for the answer to my previous thread.

 I got two questions:

 1. is the bytecode produced by the java compiler for Linux,
     running in ARM architectures portable?

 2. How difficult is porting the Sun JVM to an embedded Linux
     architecture?

thanks for any help!
 Enrico

 * Enrico Migliore - Co-founder and Senior Software Engineer
 *
Re: java + linux + arm - bytecode question

Of course it is. If not either the VM or the bytecode would violate the
specs.

Blackdown.org and I believe Debian both have ARM implementations of SUNs VM.
Doityourself is not recommended unless you have enough time and budget
available *and* are willing to pass the expensive compatibility tests as
required by SUN to call it a JAVA VM.

Oliver

Oliver Fels
Re: java + linux + arm - bytecode question
Hi Oliver,

 thanks for your answer!

Do you mean that the bytecode produced for an ARM machine
can be interpreted by a JVM running on a PC, and viceversa?

thanks again!

   Enrico

 * Enrico Migliore - Co-founder and Senior Software Engineer
 *
Re: java + linux + arm - bytecode question
yes