What devices will run Java bytecode?

I'd like to design some software in java and have it work, without
any headaches, on a portable device (I'm envisioning a palm pilot,
Ipod, Cell phone,. the playstation thing . . or something similar)

I can't seem to find a list of devices which take bytecode.   I
imagine I would be doing mostly text based stuff.

--
"When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a
second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate

The devices themselves won't take bytecode directly, you still
need a JVM (java virtual machine) bytecode interpreter or
JIT (just in time) bytecode compiler for your target system.

I know it's available for the Palm Pilot.

Rufus

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?
Slow ones ?

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?

Well they don't have to be slow!

--
"When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a
second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate
Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?
Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that.

Generally your write a Java interpreter or a Just-In-Time Compiler for
the platform you are running on. For smaller, embedded platforms you
might want to look into J2ME.

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?

ARM now has Jazelle, which defines a Java-compatible instruction set and
allows for a Java co-processor.

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?
Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that.

Generally your write a Java interpreter or a Just-In-Time Compiler for
the platform you are running on. For smaller, embedded platforms you
might want to look into J2ME.

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?

LOL

I obviously don't know enough about java to write to right questions.

--
"When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a
second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate
Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?
test

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?
Sun used to make a Java chip. I don't know what happened to that.

Generally your write a Java interpreter or a Just-In-Time Compiler for
the platform you are running on. For smaller, embedded platforms you
might want to look into J2ME.

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?

Mummm, it was a really stupid idea ?

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?

JStamp?

I can't name a whole bunch of them but I've used JStamp and its pretty
easy. I never benchmarked it, but at 74 Mhz it is pretty fast.

--
|\/|  /|  |2  |<
mehaase(at)sas(dot)upenn(dot)edu

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?

Well . ..  maybe everything is relative.

I'm just imagining encrypting or dycrypting with a 4096 bit PGP key

--
"When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a
second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate
Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?
Hello,

For an embedded Java application you need stick with J2ME.

The JOP is a bytecode execution w/o OS on an FPGA.
www.jopdesign.com
A nice design and fast, but requires some understanding of hardware and
the tools and hardware extensions are limited.

A lot of the ARM core devices run a Linux 2.6 and this allows you to
have a JVM working. Some link were already posted, but I do like the
http://www.gumstix.com
Very cheap and huge community behind it. For a $100 dollar you get a
XScale preconfigured and lots of extendable hardware.

What kind of application do you intend?

Re: What devices will run Java bytecode?

This one takes bytecode directly:

http://www.ajile.com/index.htm

Site Timeline