initrd creation

I'm working with embedded linux 2.4, and up till recently have been
building everything
on a RH9 linux box (also 2.4).  I've just transitioned over to a 2.6
host (but still running
with an embedded 2.4).  Suddenly my created initrd.img is not loading
on my target.
I'm guessing there must be some difference between mke2fs on 2.4 host
vs 2.6 host, but I really have no clue.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Ed

Re: initrd creation

Did you notice that the module tools are different for version
2.4 and version 2.6 kernels?

The initial RAM disk is usually used to get modules needed
but not compiled into the kernel.

HTH

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: initrd creation

Yep,  on the 2.4 host, mke2fs is  1.32 (09-Nov-2002) and on the 2.6
host its 1.35 (28-Feb-2004).  I tried using the 1.32 version on the 2.6
kernel and that didn't make
any difference.
Thanks

Re: initrd creation

Neither should it - the filesystem creation (mke2fs) is here irrelevant.

The module tools are for managing kernel modules, those pieces of
code you need the initrd for.

For the migration, you could start at
<http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT4389927951.html .

HTH