Force reboot on kernel panic

My system performs remote data logging. Is there a way to guarantee
reboot on a kernel panic? I plan to use the WDT on my system, but I
don't know if a kernel panic would always halt all processes.

Re: Force reboot on kernel panic

There's been talk of using the new kexec() functionality to do this.
As I recall, it's the reason Linus wanted kexec split into two pieces
(load and execute).

It looks like kexec progress has stalled but it's still listed as
"before 2.6.0".
    http://kernelnewbies.org/status/latest.html

--kyler

Re: Force reboot on kernel panic

Ha!  Further digging reveals that it shouldn't even be that difficult.
    % echo 5 >/proc/sys/kernel/panic
I'm surprised you didn't find that in your search.  It was new to me too.

I'm guessing that the point of the kexec behavior was to allow
specification of a *different* kernel to boot in the event of a panic.
(That's my main interest - using Linux as a bootloader.)

--kyler

Site Timeline