Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers

It has been suggested in prior posts that response time and real-time
behaviors may be improved by moving a time-critical task into a kernel
driver due to the lower latency. An isr was also mentioned but it isn't
  clear if kernel drivers are isrs by default, or the particular kernel
driver would want to also install an isr.

Do kernel drivers differ greatly from Linux to uClinux?

I do not currently have the option to upgrade or modify my ucLinux
kernel, but if there is a way to improve the deterministic behavior with
better coding (kernel driver, or?) that may be good enough. Can someone
fill me in on some details?

Re: Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers

Yes.

A kernel driver is not an isr.

Yes.

No.

No?
Is your kernel compiled with module support?
If yes, you can load a self-compiled kernel module at runtime.

You should read the linux device driver handbook.

regards

Wolfgang

Re: Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers

I see several similar books, but not one with this title. Are you
recommending a particular book here?

Re: Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers

"Linux device drivers" by Rubini and others (on O'Reilly)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
The content is even available in the Internet.

-Michael

Site Timeline