Real-time POSIX?

Hello,

I would appreciate any information regarding the compliance/conformance of
Linux to the POSIX real-time specifications.

Which distributions or kernel patches do add real-time to the vanilla kernel
those days?  How much do they comply with RT POSIX extensions, and with
which ones exactly?  Which distros claim hard RT?

Thanks
a.

Re: Real-time POSIX?

I'm not sure, but I think this is a start:
http://www.tglx.de/hrtimers.html

Am I mistaken?

Re: Real-time POSIX?

Claiming "some real time", no necessarily "hard":

KURT: http://www.ittc.ku.edu/kurt /
Timesys: http://www.timesys.com
Lynx/Linuxworks: http://www.linuxworks.com
Montavista: http://www.mvista.com /
Montavista: http://source.mvista.com/linux_2_6_RT.html

Information: http://www.realtimelinuxfoundation.org /

Re: Real-time POSIX?

RTLinux (Pro), RTLinux Free, RTAI are all hard POSIX compliant
Linux-based OSes.

Re: Real-time POSIX?

RTLinux(Pro) is NOT free.
RTLinux Free is only available for kernel 2.4
A more up to date and free hard RT (even in user space) extension for Linux
kernel 2.4 and 2.6 with several "RT-skins" (e.g.: PSOS, VRTX, POSIX) is
XENOMAI
see: www.xenomai.org

Re: Real-time POSIX?

As Linux can't do _hard_ realtime at all, every distro is very far away.
_Soft_ realtime is another thing. A 2.6 Kernel on a CPU that is
appropriately fast for the project in question might be quite good.

AFAIK, Pike OS (a not free add-on to Linux by SysGo) offers a realtime
Posix API.

-Michael

Site Timeline