Real-time POSIX?

Hello,

I would appreciate any information regarding the compliance/conformance of Linux to the POSIX real-time specifications.

Which distributions or kernel patches do add real-time to the vanilla kernel those days? How much do they comply with RT POSIX extensions, and with which ones exactly? Which distros claim hard RT?

Thanks a.

Reply to
A. Melinte

I'm not sure, but I think this is a start:

Am I mistaken?

Reply to
Spoon

Claiming "some real time", no necessarily "hard":

KURT:

Timesys:
Lynx/Linuxworks:
Montavista:
Montavista:

Information:

Roberto Waltman

RTLinux (Pro), RTLinux Free, RTAI are all hard POSIX compliant Linux-based OSes.

Reply to
raseelbhagat

As Linux can't do _hard_ realtime at all, every distro is very far away. _Soft_ realtime is another thing. A 2.6 Kernel on a CPU that is appropriately fast for the project in question might be quite good.

AFAIK, Pike OS (a not free add-on to Linux by SysGo) offers a realtime Posix API.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

RTLinux(Pro) is NOT free. RTLinux Free is only available for kernel 2.4 A more up to date and free hard RT (even in user space) extension for Linux kernel 2.4 and 2.6 with several "RT-skins" (e.g.: PSOS, VRTX, POSIX) is XENOMAI see:

Ulrich Schwab