html display engine?

I am looking for a way to display html forms with javascript on an
embedded box with a framebuffer.

I don't need a browser - this UI will feed the forms to a web server on
the same machine, and get the pages locally as well, so I could hack up
a pipe between the two if needed.  I don't need popups, surfing,
cookies, ssl, printing, or any of the other stuff that browsers do.

Does anyone know of something that will work or that we can use a
starting point?

--Yan

Re: html display engine?

Use a ready-to-run browser if you want to save work. :-)

Not every browser supports popups, scripts, ssl or whatever.

Links supports the framebuffer for output in graphics mode, so you can take
a look there.
If you really only need your forms, you could take lynx or whatever in some
form of text console.

But if you want to write your own code - this is up to you.

Regards

Re: html display engine?

The big sticking point is the javascript.  The only embeddable, FOSS
browser that supports JS and forms we've found is Konqueror, and it is
dog-slow on our little platform.

Except that links doesn't do javascript.  The Javascript implementation
is partial, and the code is a mess.  (And I am Czech, so I can even read
the comments - but the code is still a mess.)

I'm trying to avoid that.  :-)

Re: html display engine?
That is of course a problem. Btw: What do you mean by "FOSS"?
The only way I see right now would be to find a browser which suits you
needs (Konqueror doesn't and any other cannot be found), write your own
(horrible job), or switch to something server-sided (like php or something).

Maybe there is an javascript-interpreter which runs as a pipe, then you
could feed the scripts through this interpreter and afterwards put it onto
the screen (links might be applicable there).

take

I never looked through the sources (cannot program C), so I don't know
anything about it.
But someone got it running on Tuxbox (Linux on a PPC settop-box) and it
worked somehow, so it should work on everything :)

If you can remove the javascript code from your forms (or reduce it to
something links understands), you have that opportunity. But if that's not
possible, I don't think you can avoid that.

Regards,
Sebastian

Re: html display engine?

Free and Open Source Software.

--Yan

Re: html display engine?
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:08:02 -0700

Try here:

http://elinks.or.cz/documentation/installation.html

elinks supports javascript with a component of mozilla packaged
as SpiderMonkey.

TonyB

Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds
change color and fall from the trees.
   David Letterman (1947 - )

--
  __      __  _     I N C.               http://www.sysdev.org