Linux embedded plus small TFT: ready-to-use solution

I need to develop a product based on Linux embedded (because I need to communicate with a 4G modem through USB and I have the drivers for Linux).

So I'm searching an almost ready-to-use solution for this product (I should minimize design cost even if this increases the price of a single product... I will produce only 10-20 pieces at the moment).

The system should have only a USB host port (for 4G modem) and a small (2.8-4.3") display TFT with resistive touch panel. The display should be mounted on a panel.

The best would be to have a SOM solution, so I can design my simple and custom carrier board where to mount the SOM, the 4G modem, power supply and so on. However I could use a complete (with connector) board (I'll interface it with a my custom board).

The most important thing: I don't want to waste too much time to make Linux and display running. I'd like to write only the final application. Linux and display should run from the beginning.

The GUI will be very simple: only about 10 different screens with some settigs and status info. No more.

Any suggestion?

Reply to
pozz

.

Raspberry Pi 3. We are using hdmi display, but there is a display port on- board. I am sure you can find an LCD screen for it. We are using T-mobile USB 4G modem, works fine with the network and modem manager. The only pro blem is that the USB modem would time-out when not in use for a while, and only reboot can bring it back on line. We might end up using a network kee p-alive connection to keep it up.

We only need one USB host for normal op, but a second port is handy for key board when we messed up the 4G or Wifi connections. RPI has 4 USB ports.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

x).

.

If he doesn't need WiFi, BT, or eth a Rpi Zero is definitely cheaper.

Bye Jack

Reply to
Jack

For example:

Bye Jack

Reply to
Jack

rt

Pi0 is $5, but shipping is probably $10. Or you can buy $195 of accessorie s for free shipping, but pi0 is limit 1.

Elsewhere, pi0 goes for around $15 and pi3 for $35.

Perhaps we can ask this guy where he is moving from pi0 to pi3:

s0oS

Reply to
edward.ming.lee
:

port

uts

ies for free shipping, but pi0 is limit 1.

(why)

1Xs0oS
Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Il 08/09/2016 01:54, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha scritto: > On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 4:16:16 PM UTC-7, pozz wrote: >> I need to develop a product based on Linux embedded (because I need to >> communicate with a 4G modem through USB and I have the drivers for Linux).. >> >> So I'm searching an almost ready-to-use solution for this product (I >> should minimize design cost even if this increases the price of a single >> product... I will produce only 10-20 pieces at the moment). >> >> The system should have only a USB host port (for 4G modem) and a small >> (2.8-4.3") display TFT with resistive touch panel. >> The display should be mounted on a panel. >> >> The best would be to have a SOM solution, so I can design my simple and >> custom carrier board where to mount the SOM, the 4G modem, power supply >> and so on. >> However I could use a complete (with connector) board (I'll interface it >> with a my custom board). >> >> The most important thing: I don't want to waste too much time to make >> Linux and display running. I'd like to write only the final application. >> Linux and display should run from the beginning. >> >> The GUI will be very simple: only about 10 different screens with some >> settigs and status info. No more. >> >> Any suggestion? > > Raspberry Pi 3. We are using hdmi display,

I think it's very difficult to find a small display with HDMI connection.

Do you mean the DSI (Display Serial Interface)? Even in this case, I think it's very difficult to find a small TFT display with DSI port that can be purchased as a standard product. If you have any suggestions where to find, please tell me.

I think the best method to interface a small (2.8-4.3") TFT display is using a display module with an integrated display controller (such as, ILI9341). The display controller can be connected to the SPI link.

As here

Sincerely, I only need to send some AT commands and receive answers. I don't need to make a real IP connection. So I only need a serial port to open.

Telit (the manufacturer of the 4G modem I'll use) says the USB of modem is a standard CDC ACM and the Linux driver should be already included (cdc_acm). Do you know if cdc_acm is included in Raspberry Pi Linux kernel? Have you tried to send AT commands to your modem?

Reply to
pozz

5 inch is easy to find--does yours have to be smaller? Could you consider using a small Android tablet or something similar?

Don't know if it's in the raspberry pi kernel but Linux has supported it forever, at least as a loadable module. I've never used it myself though.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

Tablet is not for embedded. It's difficult set up default behaviors and hard to hook up I/Os. I want my device to power up and connected, without any clicking or tapping.

The modem-manger does that. I don't have to deal with the details.

Yes, it's in there. It recognize the USB modem, bring up an usb0 interface, use it as gateway, and reach the net.

In fact, i have both wlan0 and usb0 connected to the net. Not sure how it decide which one to use.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I have a dirt cheap 7" tablet, it can run linux. It is a standard allwinner a10 cpu. No I/O though

-Lasse

Reply to
lasselangwadtchristensen

I meant just use the tablet as a display, communicating with an external board that runs the application. The tablet wouldn't need special code, if a web browser can supply sufficient UI features.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

board that runs the application. The tablet wouldn't need special code, if a web browser can supply sufficient UI features.

Yes, we do use phone/tablet as UI, communicating with an external interface board, and that interface board is the Raspberry Pi 3. In addition, the R P3 boot up web connected and running a frame buffer web browser (net-surf) to show system status. This interface board does not need UI, but plenty o f digital (64) and analog I/O (10), using stackable I/O expanders.

X11/firefox are too heavy for RPI. Framebuffer/net-surf are good enough, i f i can get rid of the top title-bar and bottom status-bar (virtual framebu ffer device?), or just cover them with some panels.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I'm suggesting using the tablet's built-in web browser as a front end for an RPI program that's set up as a web server application. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Are you working with pozz on this?

If you really want to run a browser on a rpi, There are some much lighter weight ones around than Firefox, depending on what functionality you need. I've played with Dillo

which is very fast. It's supposedly included in Raspbian.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

Yes, our RPI is a web server, but it also run a web browser to show system status and no need for input UI.

No, we just have similar requirements.

We are looking into the framebuffer version of NetSurf. It fits what we need, other than the extra title-bar, status-bar and mouse pointer that we need to get rid of.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Il 09/09/2016 01:32, Paul Rubin ha scritto: > pozz writes: >> I think it's very difficult to find a small display with HDMI connection. > > 5 inch is easy to find--does yours have to be smaller?

It is somewhat big for my application, anyway I will check it. Could you suggest a plastic enclosure for RPI board, display and a custom board where to put AC/DC and 4G modem?

All the RPI enclosures I found don't have additional space for other boards.

No, I'd like to use a single device.

Reply to
pozz

I don't have specific recommendations. I could surf around a bit but you can do the same. Adafruit.com and Digikey.com are good places to start.

Reply to
Paul Rubin