problem with automount usb-flash

Hi All,

i have much trouble to get the autofs to work in my embedded system. My system is an linux 2.4.18 running at a cf-card. The kernel has compiled as monolithic (?), means no modules, all is compiled into the kernel.

Now my customer wants to have USB-Sticks to get simple and fast some data for his application (pictues and text and so on). So i've made a new kernel with usb, scsi and autofs4. Also i've put automount and it's libraries and stuff onto the card. But i did not get it to work.

I can mount the USB-sticks by hand, but autofs does nothing.

in /etc i have three files: auto.master, auto.misc and autofs.conf

auto.master has following line (without the ">"):

/mnt /etc/auto.misc

and auto.misc has following line:

flash -fstype=vfat :/dev/sda1

autofs.conf has following line:

AUTOFS_> Start /usr/sbin/automount --timeout=60 /mnt file /etc/auto.misc

But if i change to /mnt/flash i get the message "/mnt/flash: bad directory". The autofs-script is taken from a SuSE 7.3, but i tried also the script from slackware. I dont know really what these scripts do, because there is too much regex for me, i dont get it into my head.

autofs is running, it is listed in /proc/filesystems.

I need really help here ;)

kind regards, Jens

--
Die obige Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen.
Für Mails an mich bitte das Wort "usenet" gegen

I'm not quite sure, but aren't you (or the userland) supposed to do some magically "hot-plugging" to start the usb-storage driver?

Did you examine what happens on your desktop box when you insert such a stick? The hot-plug mechanism will load the following modules (may not be complete): usbcore, usb-hci, (hid), usb-storage, (sg), sd

What does your "dmesg" look like?

Salut, Jörg

--
gpg/pgp key # 0xe40a9d7a
fingerprint d4f8 b448 835b 7bcf 4161  ce35 7e8b ab47 e40a 9d7a

Am Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:02:45 +0200 schrieb Joerg Schmitz-Linneweber :

Hi Jörg,

i dont know whether i need hotplug. The sticks are recognized every time i pull them from or put them into the USB-Connector. After the recognizing i can easily mount them by hand.

Here all USB- and SCSI-related lines from dmesg (there are two sticks connected at this time):

[...] usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs usb.c: registered new driver hub usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 11:23:43 Jul 8 2003 usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:07.2 PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 00:07.3 usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 5 usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1 hub.c: USB hub found hub.c: 2 ports detected PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:07.3 PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 00:07.2 usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 5 usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2 usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2 usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0xea0/0x6803) is not claimed by any active driver. hub.c: USB hub found hub.c: 2 ports detected usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver Initializing USB Mass Storage driver... usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices Vendor: Easy Model: Disk Rev: 1.11 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02 Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 SCSI device sda: 129024 512-byte hdwr sectors (66 MB) sda: Write Protect is off sda:hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3 sda1 WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured USB Mass Storage device found at 2 USB Mass Storage support registered. scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices Vendor: Model: Sharkoon Drive Rev: 1.13 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02 Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 SCSI device sdb: 126976 512-byte hdwr sectors (65 MB) sdb: Write Protect is off sdb: sdb1 WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured USB Mass Storage device found at 3 [...]

And this is coming, if i pull off one of the sticks and put it in again:

[...] usb.c: USB disconnect on device 3 hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 4 WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured USB Mass Storage device found at 4 [...]

kind regards, Jens

--
Die obige Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen.
Für Mails an mich bitte das Wort "usenet" gegen
"jens.nixdorf" austauschen.
Reply to
Jens Nixdorf

Hi, the log says you USB stick is sdb and it's first partition is sdb1. In the auto.misc you reference sda1? You should check that. If the error persists plug the stick in, try to change to that directory and post all lines starting with the insertion of the sticks from your message file (usually found in /var/log/...). regards

-Eyck

Reply to
Eyck Jentzsch

Am Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:03:34 +0200 schrieb Eyck Jentzsch :

Hi Eyck,

there are two sticks plugged in. The first is recognized as sda(1). And i dont have any /var/log/*, because there is no syslogd on this machine. Reason was, that if the machine runs a long time alone, logs will be bigger and there is not much space left.

regards, Jens

--
Die obige Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen.
Für Mails an mich bitte das Wort "usenet" gegen
"jens.nixdorf" austauschen.
Reply to
Jens Nixdorf

Moin!

changed subject

Jens Nixdorf wrote:

Do you use BusysBox? If not, perhaps you should give it a try since there is a (very small) syslogd applet, which can handle an internal circular buffer for keeping the last, say 16kB, of log data. You could also redir the syslog messages to an unused virtual console or to a free serial port...

And to your specific problem: Did you tried to cd into the mentioned auto-mount dir and did an "ls"? What did it say?

Salut, Jörg

--
gpg/pgp key # 0xe40a9d7a
fingerprint d4f8 b448 835b 7bcf 4161  ce35 7e8b ab47 e40a 9d7a
Reply to
Joerg Schmitz-Linneweber

Am Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:59:27 +0200 schrieb Joerg Schmitz-Linneweber :

Hi Jörg,

Yes, i'm using busybox. And it's syslogd is there but i did not used it until now. I will give it a try.

Yes, i did. I could not change to this directory. If i do "cd /mnt/flash" it says "/mnt/flash: bad directory". Even if i do it step by step ("cd /mnt" and then "cd flash").

regards, Jens

--
Die obige Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen.
Für Mails an mich bitte das Wort "usenet" gegen
"jens.nixdorf" austauschen.
Reply to
Jens Nixdorf

Am Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:46:24 GMT schrieb Jens Nixdorf :

Now i got syslogd (busybox) to run, i saw that autofs could not open its libraries, because i've put them into /lib, not /usr/lib and did not make a link. Little mistake, big problems.

Thank you all...

regards, Jens