Filesystem

Hi, Is there a procedure to gracefully shutdown the file system in Linux? For ex, if there are constant power failures i want to have some mechanism where i detect these conditions(like say delayed hardware reset) and gracefully shutdown the file system. Also, i want to know the sequence of initializations that happen once the kernel starts executing from 0x100000 till /sbin/init executed. can someone please point me where to look in the code.

Thanks Uday

Reply to
Uday Mullangi

Assuming you may provide power to the system during some seconds (minute?) after power failure, you may have a daemon running that detects it and do a system shutdown. Looking at the code that communicates with nobreaks (APC comes to my mind) and perform such a task should help you on this.

I think this article could be of help.

HTH.

Elder.

Reply to
Elder Costa

Thanks Elder. Do you have any idea where the code(files) corresponding to the loading the driver after mounting the ram disk is located in the source tree.I am new to the source heirarchy.

Thanks Uday

For

the

Uday Mullangi

Uday Mullangi wrote: : Hi, : Is there a procedure to gracefully shutdown the file system in Linux?

Yes it's called umount

: For : ex, if there are constant power failures i want to : have some mechanism where i detect these conditions(like say delayed : hardware reset) and gracefully shutdown the file system. : Also, i want to know the sequence of initializations that happen once the : kernel starts executing from 0x100000 : till /sbin/init executed. : can someone please point me where to look in the code.

: Thanks : Uday

Reply to
J Jackson