Filesystem

 Is there a procedure to gracefully shutdown the file system in Linux? For
ex, if there are constant power failures i want to
have some mechanism where i detect these conditions(like say delayed
hardware reset) and gracefully shutdown the file system.
Also,  i want to know the sequence of initializations that happen once the
kernel starts executing from 0x100000
till /sbin/init executed.
can someone please point me where to look in the code.

Thanks
Uday

Re: Filesystem

Assuming you may provide power to the system during some seconds
(minute?) after power failure, you may have a daemon running that
detects it and do a system shutdown. Looking at the code that
communicates with nobreaks (APC comes to my mind) and perform such a
task should help you on this.

I think this article could be of help.
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/pa-migrate2/?ca=dgr-lnxw06BootProcess

HTH.

Elder.

Re: Filesystem
Thanks Elder.
Do you have any idea where the code(files) corresponding to the loading the
driver after mounting the ram disk is located
in the source tree.I am new to the source heirarchy.

Thanks
Uday

For
the
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/pa-migrate2/?ca=dgr-lnxw06BootProcess

Re: Filesystem
: Hi,
:  Is there a procedure to gracefully shutdown the file system in Linux?

Yes it's called umount

: For
: ex, if there are constant power failures i want to
: have some mechanism where i detect these conditions(like say delayed
: hardware reset) and gracefully shutdown the file system.
: Also,  i want to know the sequence of initializations that happen once the
: kernel starts executing from 0x100000
: till /sbin/init executed.
: can someone please point me where to look in the code.

: Thanks
: Uday

Site Timeline