fileServer?

Hi,

My idea is, to make an embedded fileseerver and it should looks like: a Harddisk is connected to a microcontroller and the microcontroller is connected to a LAN, on the microcontroller runs linux with an IDE-Interface for accessing the HDD and a LAN-Interface for the network. On the microcontroller runs Samba for sharing and accessing the files on the HDD over the LAN. What do u think, would it possible to realize such a device, btw. i'm an electronical technician from switzerland... what do i need? where should i begin? Thanks for suggestions! :)

--
roN
www.rideon.ch

Hi Ron,

"Ron Eggler" schrieb in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Why not just take a 250,00 Euro PC in a small case and build what you decribe?

Regards, Kurt

--
PiN - Präsenz im Netz GITmbH
Kurt Harders

'cause i'm interested to do something like this on my own... To discover embbeded Linux in Microcontrollers...:)

--
roN
www.rideon.ch

A PC processor _is_ a Microcontroller.

What exactly is your goal ?

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

yes but it needs alot of peripherial devices...

--
roN
www.rideon.ch

Not by any commonly accepted usage of the word. a uController is generally expected to included enough perhipherals and memory that it can perform a useful task w/o requiring any external parts (or a bare minimum of one or two maybe). A uController is expected to contain things like:

timer/counters RAM and/or ROM parallel I/O pins serial I/O pins interrupt controller chip-select generator and, on higher-end parts:

Ethernet controller DRAM controller LCD controller USB controller etc.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Jesus is my
                                  at               POSTMASTER GENERAL...

yes, that's exactly what i meant. thx! :)

--
roN
www.rideon.ch