Data encryption

Looking for some data encryption/implemenation suggestions:

I have embedded linux boxes in the field that I would like to have the user be able to retrieve data from, in an encrypted and compressed form, and then have them send me the data on a cf card through the mail at which point I would decrypt/decompress the data and do some analysis. I've thinking of using the zip compression but the security looks kind of weak?

Any ideas?

Swax

Reply to
Willem

There are about 8000 different ways of getting this done (not exact number ;) ) - A few things;

(1) You say using zip compression, but then mention security -- I'm confused What version of gzip/libgzip are you using? It has a encryption feature?

(2) Do you want symetrical or asymetrical encryption? Symeterical -- where there is the same key that encrypts / decrypts is fairly straight forward, there are hundreds of tools; like ccrypt comes to mind.

(2a) Alternatively, just format the CF media with something like cfs (never tried it, but should work). That way its automatically encrypted

(2b) If you want asymetrical encryption, there is really only one game in town; gnupgp

-Barry

Reply to
Barry S

The zip encryption is horribly weak.