Is it possible to port a DNS to my embedded linux?

could u give me some details about dns,and some source code for use

thanks alot

Reply to
yqzq

for details about dns read the internet RFC documents pertaining to name resolution and the sourcecode for bind is available at

Are you sure you want the overhead of a full nameserver on your embedded system? or are you just wanting to resolve names that other systems already know about? If you just want to resolve names then the libc library already contains that functionality. See gethostbyname()...I think it is handled thru libc.

If you need to provide private dns for an isolated network then I'm not sure an embedded system is the best platform for that since the configuration files might not be strictly static and the bind code is fairly large.

Also, DNS itself can be a source of security risk. Ever hear of name cache poisoning?

DNS is a fairly complicated service.

Reply to
noone

Have a look at buildroot

there is a port of bind ready for many types of embedded platform.

Reply to
4wheelerTux

thanks a loot "4wheelerTux" ???? news: snipped-for-privacy@q12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to