E-COS development

Hello,

I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will be
builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop
an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity.

I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard to
understand respect other choices?

Someone has some feelings about the development with this OS? There are
others good alternatives to it?

Thank you,

Alfredo

Re: E-COS development
: Hello,
:
: I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will be
: builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop
: an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity.
:

<snip>

Linux != eCos. They are very very different.

eCos is associated with linux, usually, because it is currently owned by
Redhat.

So, are you wanting embedded linux advice or eCos advice?

--buddy

--
Remove '.spaminator' and '.invalid' from email address
when replying.

Re: E-COS development
    I'd be very interested in what you hear as well. I've been working with
two different AT91 based systems, one is an ARM 7 EB55 board, the other
is an ARM 9 based board.
    At this point I've learned much more than I thought I would have to
about the internals of ARM chips.
    Before you try to pick an OS, find out what BSP's are available for the
platform  you want to develop on. Then match that to the available OS's
vs your pocket book.
    ....JW

Re: E-COS development
We sell both Sciopta RTOS (very fast and small due to Assembler based
kernel) as well as SMX (traditional C Kernel) - both offer support for ARM
and a wide variety of processors.  BSP's are included at no cost.

Contact me at: snipped-for-privacy@emRep.com and I can share more details with you.
Eric

be

Re: E-COS development

Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure
someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not
have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux.

eCos is a completely unrelated operating system. I would describe it
as very well suited to your type of application - it is lightweight
and highly configurable, and has a very functional TCP/IP stack. And
it is free.

Re: E-COS development

be
develop

Im pretty sure that 2.6 kernel supports MMU-less processors...

Re: E-COS development

will

Yes - basically, the key kernel patches of ucLinux have been merged into the
main tree in 2.6.

Re: E-COS development
On 16 Dec 2003 14:12:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards)

There is the AT91RM9200, ARM 920T, 180 MHz with MMU and "real" Linux
downloadable from Atmel's web site.  And the part is real, we're
working with prototype boards right now, although we're not using
Linux.

Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
Re: E-COS development

Fair enough. When people talk about Atmel's AT91 series, they usually
seem to be talking about the ARM7 beasts, though, which is why I made
the assumption.

Re: E-COS development
be
develop

So it is time to learn about the AT91RM9200 Lewin ;-)
(Has a USB host controller as well !)

Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com
Re: E-COS development

be
develop

Thank you for the indications about e-cos. Do you know about some hi-level
development environments that are compatible with e-cos (compiler, debugger,
etc.)?

Alfredo

Re: E-COS development

will
debugger,

The standard tools are the gnu development tools.  That means gcc as your
compiler (for c, c++, ada, or whatever), and gdb as the debugger (using
Insight, gvd, ddd or whatever for a front-end gui).  I guess it's possible
to use other tools, but I don't know.

Re: E-COS development

There are rumors of one guy who got eCos built for some oddball
platform using something other than gcc, but for all of the
common architectures, gnu is the only practical choice.  If you
want a pointy-clicky IDE, there are quite a few to choose from
(KDevelop, CodeWarrior, etc.)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  PUNK ROCK!! DISCO
                                  at               DUCK!! BIRTH CONTROL!!