E-COS development

Hello,

I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will be builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity.

I haven't any experience with Linux & Co., so can this OS be very hard to understand respect other choices?

Someone has some feelings about the development with this OS? There are others good alternatives to it?

Thank you,

Alfredo

Reply to
Alfredo Astori

Alfredo Astori wrote: : Hello, : : I'm looking for a good OS to use with a new project that, probably, will be : builded around an ATMEL AT91 processor; the project is intended to develop : an acquisition system device with an Internet connectivity. :

Linux != eCos. They are very very different.

eCos is associated with linux, usually, because it is currently owned by Redhat.

So, are you wanting embedded linux advice or eCos advice?

--buddy

--
Remove '.spaminator' and '.invalid' from email address
when replying.

Reply to
John Marland

We sell both Sciopta RTOS (very fast and small due to Assembler based kernel) as well as SMX (traditional C Kernel) - both offer support for ARM and a wide variety of processors. BSP's are included at no cost.

Contact me at: snipped-for-privacy@emRep.com and I can share more details with you. Eric

be

Reply to
Eric

Linux is too heavyweight for an AT91-based system (yes, I'm sure someone will argue with me). Anyway the AT91s [that I know] do not have MMUs, so you would be using ucLinux, not "real" Linux.

eCos is a completely unrelated operating system. I would describe it as very well suited to your type of application - it is lightweight and highly configurable, and has a very functional TCP/IP stack. And it is free.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

be

develop

Im pretty sure that 2.6 kernel supports MMU-less processors...

Reply to
AVRFreak

On 16 Dec 2003 14:12:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards) wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

There is the AT91RM9200, ARM 920T, 180 MHz with MMU and "real" Linux downloadable from Atmel's web site. And the part is real, we're working with prototype boards right now, although we're not using Linux.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

be

develop

So it is time to learn about the AT91RM9200 Lewin ;-) (Has a USB host controller as well !)

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

Fair enough. When people talk about Atmel's AT91 series, they usually seem to be talking about the ARM7 beasts, though, which is why I made the assumption.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

will

Yes - basically, the key kernel patches of ucLinux have been merged into the main tree in 2.6.

Reply to
David Brown

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

be

develop

Thank you for the indications about e-cos. Do you know about some hi-level development environments that are compatible with e-cos (compiler, debugger, etc.)?

Alfredo

Reply to
Alfredo Astori

will

debugger,

The standard tools are the gnu development tools. That means gcc as your compiler (for c, c++, ada, or whatever), and gdb as the debugger (using Insight, gvd, ddd or whatever for a front-end gui). I guess it's possible to use other tools, but I don't know.

Reply to
David Brown

There are rumors of one guy who got eCos built for some oddball platform using something other than gcc, but for all of the common architectures, gnu is the only practical choice. If you want a pointy-clicky IDE, there are quite a few to choose from (KDevelop, CodeWarrior, etc.)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  PUNK ROCK!! DISCO
                                  at               DUCK!! BIRTH CONTROL!!