Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.

I am developing an application for Radisys Promentum Baseband card
which features a IntelAE% IXP2350 network processor. This card runs on
MontaVista carrier grade linux professional 3.1. I compiled my source
using RedHat Fedora, RedHat Enterprize 4 etc. To test the code I used
RPC mechanism with the card. So far it is runs well.

But, now I want the code to be run from the card. Since MontaVista
license is very costly I amd trying to avoid it. I also heard about
another carrier grade Linux called Wind River which is also costly.

Now I just want to write the binary which is compiled in RedHat Fedora
into the baseband card running on MontaVista. Will there be any
problem if I do that? Is there any open source free carrier grade
Linux distribution compatible with MontaVista? Is there any free or
low cost tools to develop application for MontaVista from any free
linux distribution?

I appreciate your help and Thank you in advance.

Regards.
max

Re: Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.

Something is very wrong.  No Linux is 'expensive'.  All are
released under the GPL license, which insists that all source code
be available, and that no restrictions can be put on revisions.

The only things that can be restricted are independent
applications.  Since they cannot be integrateed, this does not
affect the license for Linux.  It remains free.

 [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Re: Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.

He didn't say Linux was expensive, he said that licenses for the
MontaVista and Wind River distros were expensive.  Which it may be, if
it includes support, uptime guarantees, proprietary management tools
or even trademarked images.  (I have not used or researched either
personally, however.)

Re: Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.

There may be, if the shared libraries you tested against are of a
different version than the ones on your target system, or if those
libraries were compiled with a different compiler and/or version of
the compiler than you used.

If you statically linked against libraries such as libc, you may have
problems if the kernel on the target system is of a different version
than your compilation system or if that kernel was compiled with a
different compiler and/or version of the compiler than you used.

Or you may be lucky, and none of the potential issues listed above
would arise.  But if you're targeting "carrier grade" systems, I
wouldn't depend on luck.

IMO, your best bet to deal with those problems is to use the vendor's
SDK, if they provide one, or to build on the target system.

Re: Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.
Sorry, I am late to reply.

The board comes with IntelAE% IXP2350 network processor. I have SDK for
that network processor. Can I use that SDK? I tried on previous
occassion without any success.

Specifically, I need to know if any binary that runs on redhat
enterprize or other distros can run without any modification in
MontaVista. If not is there any free or low cost workbench to do that?

Thanks.

Re: Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.

I don't know.  I don't have experience with that board, processor or
SDK.

It's not safe to assume so, for the reasons I outlined.  If you can't
verify that another distro uses the same compiler, compiler version,
kernel version and version of all relevant libraries as the version of
the MontaVista distro you're targeting,  then you should be aware that
you may run into incompatibilities that will cause obvious or subtle
bugs.  From your desire to target carrier-grade systems, I wouldn't
expect such a possibility to be acceptable.

If you're lucky, there may be a Free equivalent of MontaVista you
could develop on, along the same lines as CentOS relates to RHEL.  I
don't know if such a thing exists for any distro appropriate to your
needs.  I would still strongly recommend testing on your target OS,
however.  You might also try contacting the company behind the distros
you're interested in, and see if they offer a developer discount or
loan; Some companies that sell high-priced hardware and software will
loan demonstration models for development purposes.

Re: Developing MontaVista application from other free linux ?distribution.

What exactly did you try?

IXP2350 is an Xscale CPU, which is ARMv5 architecture.
So, no, i386 linux binaries won't run.
Your minimal set of tools will be a compiler/binutils/libs/headers for
that architecture. This could well be a cross compiler running on a
standard i386 linux box.

Regards,

Arthur

--
arthur dot erhardt at pit dot physik dot uni dash tuebingen dot de
*pgp key available*                                         dg7sea

Re: Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.
For MMU-less ARM processor issues you may want to check
http://www.uclinux.org/maillist /

-Michael

Re: Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.

What opsys this ARM/XScale? card has?

So the card is installed on a x86? system which has this Linux?

A x86 application made in Fedora etc. seems to work in MontaVista
too and there to communicate OK with the Radisys card?

Two totally separate problems seem to be mixed here :

1. Producing code elsewhere for the MontaVista Linux host

2. Producing code elsewhere for the Radisys baseband card

Both should be quite usual cross-compiling tasks and
when one has an access for both 'targets', their
current installed stuff, these tasks should be rather
easy (for anyone with the required know-how).

So I think you would need :

1. a crosstoolchain for that MontaVista Linux

2. a crosstoolchain for that Radisys card

Both hosted on your chosen Fedora

Site Timeline