Cross tools for SH processors and Slackware

Hello from Gregg C Levine
It seems I am colliding with the illogic of how people constantly build their
development tools on a RPM based system.

Consider this, I downloaded from a site that's Japanese, and English, (Obviously
went to the English side), the RPM files that closely matched the versions of
GCC,
and the binary utilities that were supplied with Slack10. I converted them to
Slack
packages using the rpm2tgz tool, and then installed them. My first task was to
build
a kernel for my project, it's on the Sega Dreamcast, which is SH based. It ran
okay
once I figured out the command strings, however it seems that the way the tools
were built caused the problems, (I think.), basically the kernel (version
2.4.26)
refused to completely compile. Now if anyone is interested in the error
messages,
before I go down the next route, I can recreate my steps, and then make the
output
available for perusal.

While I think I can use the supplied source code for building my own tools, and
even a library, either Glibc, or uClibc, for the processor, has anyone done so,
and
created packages?
Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net
(Company website at www.gregg.levine.name )

Re: Cross tools for SH processors and Slackware

check out crosstool (http://kegel.com/crosstool )
I used it to build arm and ppc toolchains and it worked great. Definitely saves
time and solves all problems with pre-made toolchains...

Regards,
Sasho

(Obviously I
GCC,
Slack
build
okay
tools
2.4.26)
messages,
output
and
so, and

Re: Cross tools for SH processors and Slackware
(Obviously I
GCC,
Slack
build
okay
tools
2.4.26)
messages,
output
and
so, and

Get thee to http://kegel.com/crosstool and try the development snapshot!
- Dan

Re: Cross tools for SH processors and Slackware
Hello from Gregg C Levine
I did that. I used the default browser for KDE to download that one. Tar
complained so I grabbed it via wget. Extracted it into the /usr/local/src
directory.

I then ran the script for setting things for the SH4. I should have mentioned,
that my
target isn't one of the developer boards from the company, its a Dreamcast
that's
my target.

I then ran the next script, it complained about not having a couple of variables
set.
Same with the crosstool.sh script. I also created a script file to explain this:
Script started on Thu 16 Sep 2004 12:21:11 AM EDT
root@who4:/usr/local/src/crosstool-0.28-rc35# sh all.sh
Please set TARGET to the Gnu target identifier (e.g. pentium-linux)
root@who4:/usr/local/src/crosstool-0.28-rc35# sh crosstool.sh
Please set PREFIX to where you want the toolchain installed.
root@who4:/usr/local/src/crosstool-0.28-rc35# exit
Script done on Thu 16 Sep 2004 12:23:17 AM EDT

I am some what confused. I did read the documentation pointed to inside the doc
directory that the README file points to. Also I'd like to have the crosstool
scripts build Slackware packages. I'm also going to post the output from the
demo-sh4.sh script:
#!/bin/sh
set -ex
TARBALLS_DIR=/usr/local/src/sh4
RESULT_TOP=/opt/crosstool
export TARBALLS_DIR RESULT_TOP
GCC_LANGUAGES="c,c++"
export GCC_LANGUAGES

# Really, you should do the mkdir before running this,
# and chown /opt/crosstool to yourself so you don't need to run as root.
mkdir -p $RESULT_TOP

# Build the toolchain.  Takes a couple hours and a couple gigabytes.
# note: binutils < 2.13 doesn't know about sh4, so don't try building gcc-2.95
# note: gcc-3.2.3 has ICE compiling glibc for sh4 (http://gcc.gnu.org/PR6954 ),
so
don't try building gcc-3.2.3

#eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.3-glibc-2.2.5.dat`    sh all.sh --notest
#eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.3-glibc-2.3.2.dat`    sh all.sh --notest
#eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.3.2-glibc-2.3.2.dat`  sh all.sh --notest
#eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.3.2.dat`  sh all.sh --notest
#eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.4.0-glibc-2.3.2.dat`  sh all.sh --notest
 eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.4.1-glibc-2.3.3.dat`  sh all.sh --notest
#eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.4.1-glibc-20040827.dat`  sh all.sh --notest

echo Done.
I examined the configuration files for the SH4, and I noticed that its set for
the
generic processor. Would that make a difference?
---
Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net
--
PS- Nice website discussing your work.