close range sensor

I am looking for some position/speed sensor detector device. It only
needs to work within 40 cm range. In term of position detection, I do
not need super accuracy. Any advices will be appreciated.

Re: close range sensor
please don't multi-post. If you don't know what that means, look it up.
*IF* this question belongs on more than one newsgroup, then you should
cross post it.

Bob

Re: close range sensor
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...
You didn't mention what type of measurement You prefer: contactless or
contact sensor.
For contact sensors you have variety of mechanical "potentiometer like"
measurements, or optoelectrical(less noisy cause it gives digital
output).
For contactless the only which I know of to be reliable is laser.But for
such short distance it's very expensive.
Ultra sound however is also one choise, but it depends on measuring
environemnt because sound wave is "catches up" all around.

I'm pretty interested how would it work with accelerometer.
This is a cheapest solution.

robert

Re: close range sensor
Problem with laser is how to aim to the target you want trace, you
have to position the target first.

I'll google them.

Re: close range sensor
I did not state that clearly enough.

I think I need some remote sensing device. The host can sense the
target in term of position/speed. The range between the host and the
sensed target is less than half meter. The resulution should be in
term of centimeter. Is that possible? A normal video camera can do the
job, too much information has to exclueded to trace my target. I just
think there should be some cheaper alternative.

Re: close range sensor

Duct tape a mouse to the target?  ;-)

Dave

Site Timeline