Cheap pressure sensor

I was wondering if there was a cheap way to messure pressure. Perhaps up to 50 psi. I have this cheap digital tire pressure sensor that seems to work good. I'm sure they didn't put a $50 or $100 pressure sensor in it. I don't need really good accuracy. Within a couple % would probably be fine.

Any ideas? Thanks 8-)

Reply to
Dan Ritter

How many total, will you need? If you need 300 or more I can help

Richard

Richard

Newsgroups

No. I'm afraid it's just for a few small projects. Is that what the tire pressure sensor has? If you buy thousands you can get the sensors for a few dollars instead of $100?

The best idea I've had so far is I've noticed some surplus electronics places have had these sensors for sale. Right now they just show sold out though.

Like I said. I don't need really good accuracy. Even within 10% I would be willing to accept if it was a cheap thing. Basically I just don't want my device to overpressure too much.

I wouldn't mind hearing what you have. Mostly just curiousity. I don't think I could afford 300 of them.

I hope someone has an idea that will work.

Thanks 8-)

Reply to
Dan Ritter

Try cooper instruments. Do a search for 'force sensor' and you will find several companies who make force sensors and pressure sensors. About 10 dollars per. Brad

Reply to
BEVERNON

Go to WalMart ande look in the auto section for digital tire pressure gages. I think I've seen them there in the ~$10 range. I'd also look in the "dollar" type stores for them. The below link might also be of interest (maybe free sample).

Si Ballenger

0-100 psi, $15 each or $13 in batches of 10.

Reply to
Gary Helfert

Dear Gary

One method that might work depending how much trouble you are willing to put into the project would be to use a oil pressure sender device from as used in certain automotive engines.

These devices used to use carbon or graphite buttons compressed by a diaphragm to measure the oil pressure of such a engine.

Carbon has the interesting characteristic of changing resistance when paced under mechanical pressure. This characteristic was and probably still is used in the transmitter of certain telephone mouth pieces and microphones.

Usually in the case of engine oil pressure the unit is simply in series with the battery and the measuring gauge. However it is conceivable that you might be able to arrange several of these into a bridge circuit for better accuracy.

If you are looking for quick and dirty, then a trip to a plumbing store to buy a bourdon type presure gauge, might be the most direct method of achieving your goal.

Albert

Reply to
ALBERT C. GOOD JR.