Booting from Flash Card emits LILO error L 01 01 01 01 01...

Okay, so I can successfully install linux on a flash card and upon
booting everything is flawless. BUT, if I try to repeat the process
(which I will describe below) then when I reboot lilo will emit the
infamous L 01 01 01 01 01 01 ... error.

I have tried everything I could possibly think of but for whatever
reason, I require a brand spankin' new flash card for it to work. Once
I've performed the first "burn", I can't repeat it.

Here are the details for building the flash card (target) on a host
machine:
64MB flash card plugged into primary ide (/dev/hda)

1. fdisk /dev/hda
in the fdisk program, all existing partitions are deleted and a new
primary partition is created at partition 1. the default start
cylinder (1) is used. the default end cylinder (in my case, 499) is
used. the partition is made bootable. the results are written to the
flash.
2. ext2 filesystem is created on the partition
3. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
4. files are copied over.
5. unmounted.
6. remove the flash card and install in target system.
7. boot target machine. all is well.

repeat this process and then the aforementioned error is emitted.

what is going on? I have tried numerous things, like fussing with the
lilo.conf file. i've tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs51%2 count=1
<--- i've tried other counts too.

can anyone explain what is wrong? is this a problem with lilo or the
flash card?

Re: Booting from Flash Card emits LILO error L 01 01 01 01 01...
[...]

Hi

I have never seen this error before, and the only thing I can think of, is
that the partition type is wrong. I use FAT16, Id=6 partition with ext2 FS.
But I cannot explain why it only works the first time...?

If it can be of any help, you can find some stuff about installing Slackware
Linux on a CF card on my website: www.tueh.dk/slack

Let us know the solution when you find it.

Regards

Tue

Re: Booting from Flash Card emits LILO error L 01 01 01 01 01...
yes, it's very strange: according to the LILO documentation the error
code 0x01 is as follows:

Illegal Command: This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may indicate

an attempt to access a disk which is not supported by the BIOS.

So I'm thinking that somehow the disk geometry is getting corrupted. I
dunno.

Site Timeline