Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

Hello,

I'm building a simple NAS based on linux and an old 486 mainboard; don't
know if it fits to "embedded devices".

The specs are a Cx486DLC/40 and 8 Mb of ram, together with a 32 Mb CF2IDE
solution for the main system, serial console (no virtual tty's) and a maybe
20 Gb hard disk for data.

Now it runs a kernel 2.2.36 and BusyBox 1.1.0 statically linked and I want
to include a fast NFS server. The system should be able to capture a digital
video stream from tv (a D-Box 2 with Tuxbox is sending the data). I'm not
sure about performance issues, so I think about the integrated knfsd I
compiled into the kernel.

But I cannot get the nfs-tools-0.1.5 compiled on my main machine (coLinux
with Debian 3.0) - it won't compile.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix it?

Regards,

Sebastian

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

We have a 8M CF image with NFS, with minimum drivers (ne2000 &
rtl8139).  You should be able to build a standalone version with
approx.  20M, including most popular nic drivers.

Try different versions, perhaps older one.  We use 2.2.25.

Or start with ours and build it up.  Our CD contains basic CF boot
images in 8M,16M,20M,32M,48M,64M and 128M.  See http://cfd.linnix.com

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?
CF2IDE
maybe

What do you use? Now I got the nfs-utils-1.0.7 compiled (some generations
newer, but I hope it wont matter), but when I start nfsd, the system hangs.
What do I exactly need to set up a NFS server?

I also set up a 124 Mb hard disk for testing, later I can also use it for
swapping, but I hope the memory is enough to avoid this.

want
digital
not
(coLinux

Kernel version 2.2.25 ? I don't know if this is important, because simply
"it runs" :-)

Could I download an NFS-server-capable image somewhere?

Thank you.

Regards,

Sebastian

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

Yes you can.
Take a look at http://www.dmp.com.tw/tech/os-xlinux
There you find a small linux with nfs.
I use it my self, but with a diffrent kernel on a soekris board.

--
/ Peter Andersen
/ Skanderborg

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?
don't

Thank you, I'll take a look next week when I'm back at home.

Regards,

Sebastian

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?
Hello,

I cannot find the configuration files for serving NFS requests, is it
useable as an NFS server or only as client? Client functionality shall not
be integrated into the system because I don't want to control it ... it
shall work without any user intervention.

Regards,

Sebastian

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

Have you read the manual.
If not then please download from the same side and read it.
It is on page 14.
I am not using the nfs server just the ftp and some other program i have
installed.

--
/ Peter Andersen
/ Skanderborg

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

Do you have nfsd support in the kernel?

OK, get http://cfd.linnix.com/cfd8.iso and burn a CD.

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?
Hello,

generations
hangs.
Yes, I do.

Thank you, I'll have a look soon.

Regards,

Sebastian

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?
Hello,

It seems the CD isn't bootable. At least I cannot get it to boot on my qemu
session; a DOS bootdisk won't recognize the image as "High Sierra or
ISO9660" compatible. I didn't burn it onto CD (yet) because the target
system doesn't have any drive.
The 8m.dd file is the compact flash image? How can I put it onto my CF?
I tried "dd if=8m.dd of=/dev/sda" but that didn't work (no recognized file
system). Neither worked using the image as loopback device (losetup
/dev/loop1 8m.dd ; mount /dev/loop1 /mnt), same error.

How did you create this image and how can I get the files inside?

Regards,

Sebastian

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

It should be bootable.

It is iso9660 with rockridge extension.  Perhaps dos does not know
about the extension.

It should be loaded with IDE device.
dd if=8m.dd of=/dev/hda

We can send you a CD, if you pay for the postage.

By the way, the images are setup as broadband router/gateway and nfs on
the local side only (eth1).  So you need two nics even if you don't use
it as router/gateway.  You can of course change it as you wish.

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?
Hello,

http://cfd.linnix.com

I cannot get it to boot, not even burned (Nero 6).

Yes, but it should read it anyway, there's an iso9660.

file

If I do a "cat 8m.dd" or "type 8m.dd" I get lots of nothing, the file seems
to be completely empty. Extracted from the image (only WinImage can read it
as far) it has 7.65 Mb, but no content.
Is it true the whole iso-image has got only 1 Mb in size?
Maybe it is corrupt or I am simply too stupid to use it (what I don't hope)
:-(
Could you please upload the 8m.dd file somewhere? I would really appreciate
it.

I hope I can avoid this (yet). I don't want to spend some money on it. At
least not yet.

Sebastian

Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

The iso file should be 40M.  We got lots of bandwidth hits after
posting this link.

I will check into putting it in source forge or something.