arm linux with gdb

Hello,

I am trying to cross-compile the latest gdb(5.3) for the arm, but I am
stuck. Before I put any further effort into this issue my question:

Is there a pre-build version of the latest gdb(5.3) for the arm platform
existing somewhere in the Web? :)

Thanks.

(await further postings ;)

Re: arm linux with gdb
Use the following script under cygwin or Linux, *BSD.

#!/bin/sh
GDB_VER=5.3
TARGET=avr-unknown-elf
PREFIX=/usr/local

tar jxvf gdb-$GDB_VER.tar.bz2
mkdir gdb

cd gdb
../gdb-$GDB_VER/configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX
make all
make install
cd ..

See http://www.ocdemon.com/OCDemonLinux.html or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnude for
a ready-to-use package.

Note that you can build insight just by replacing all instances of
"gdb" by "insight"
in the script above.

Jean Tabel

am
platform

Re: arm linux with gdb

This creates for AVR, not ARM.

Try arm-elf instead of avr-unknown-elf.

The problem I had with ARM remote GDB is that it assumes hardware
breakpoints. A source level patch is needed to change to software
breakpoints.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: arm linux with gdb

No, AFAIK.

I made one for an earlier version of GDB. If he feels he can use it, I can
email it.

HTH

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: arm linux with gdb

Really?  That's odd, I found the exact opposite when configuring GDB
5.3 with --target=arm-elf.  I had to make changes to
config/arm/tm-embed.h to get GDB to believe that "target remote"
targets support hardware breakpoints and allow the hbreak command to
be used.

- Fred

Re: arm linux with gdb

If that's true, good.

I'll check it - maybe somebody has heard my pleas.

Thank you for pointing out.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Site Timeline