Anyone one used this small ARM based board?

I recently came across this link (on the hri.sf.net mailing list), and was wondering if anyone had any experience of it or knows anything more about it.

Thanks,

Matt Nottingham

Reply to
Matt Nottingham

About what ?

Reply to
Helix

D'oh - I must have been half asleep when I wrote that!

The link is:

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
Matt Nottingham

Look at articles on comp.arch.embedded. The general conclusion was that this board is of poor quality and should not be used:

No personal experiense though.

--
Regards,
Andras Tantos

OK - thanks for that.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Nottingham

I am interested to this thread too. I see nothing bad in this board, however I noticed this other one:

What about it ? I am looking for an inexpensive ARM based prototypiying system like this, although I'd like to have the possibility to mount at least 8M StrataFlash and 16M SDRAM.

Reply to
Helix

that

Both boards use the microcontroller type Philips chip - some people have suggested these will become the PIC or 8051 of the noughties.

They have no external bus, so I would say you cannot port any form of Linux or Elks to run on this platform since memory is fixed at 128kbyte flash and

16kbyte (or so) sram.

If you want more storage, it will have to be port addressed rather than memory addressed, i.e. I2c, SPI or using latches to hold data bus lines etc, and is doable bit not very efficient in terms of speed - OK for data logging etc.

If you want to run linux on an ARM based microcontroller chip, consider the external bus devices from OKI, Atmel, Cirrus Logic etc.

If you want an inexpensive ARM7 platform to develop on, I have two for Sale, a Bush Internet box and a WebPal internet box. Both versions have Linux ports available. Do a search in google for more info and contact me if you want them.

Cheers, VIncent

Reply to
Vincent Crabtree

Maybe there is nothing. But the comment on capacitors indicates the guy does not have much experience with this kind of design (his comment no the quoted thread sounds somewhat stupid) and reducing capacitor count for economy in this kind of design does not seem wise IMO (not to mention from the pictures one can see no capacitor near the processor). You may buy his board but be prepared to fix some problems. It might "well work for days in testing" in his environment but who can guarantees it will in yours?

Regards.

Reply to
Elder Costa

Check out the following from Logic: