Anyone one used this small ARM based board?

I recently came across this link (on the hri.sf.net mailing list),
and was wondering if anyone had any experience of it or knows
anything more about it.

Thanks,

Matt Nottingham

Re: Anyone one used this small ARM based board?

About what ?

Re: Anyone one used this small ARM based board?

D'oh - I must have been half asleep when I wrote that!

The link is:

http://arm.web7days.com /

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Anyone one used this small ARM based board?

Look at articles on comp.arch.embedded. The general conclusion was that this
board is of poor quality and should not be used:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=bt8roh%24a0a3174%40imsp212.netvigator.com

No personal experiense though.

Andras Tantos
Re: Anyone one used this small ARM based board?

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=bt8roh%24a0a3174%40imsp212.netvigator.com

OK - thanks for that.

Matt

Re: Anyone one used this small ARM based board?
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=bt8roh%24a0a3174%40imsp212.netvigator.com

I am interested to this thread too.
I see nothing bad in this board, however I noticed this other one:
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller/lpc2104.html
What about it ?
I am looking for an inexpensive ARM based prototypiying system like this,
although I'd like to have the possibility to mount at least 8M StrataFlash
and 16M SDRAM.

Re: Anyone one used this small ARM based board?

that
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=bt8roh%24a0a3174%40imsp212.netvigator.com

Both boards use the microcontroller type Philips chip - some people have
suggested these will become the PIC or 8051 of the noughties.

They have no external bus, so I would say you cannot port any form of Linux
or Elks to run on this platform since memory is fixed at 128kbyte flash and
16kbyte (or so) sram.

If you want more storage, it will have to be port addressed rather than
memory addressed, i.e. I2c, SPI or using latches to hold data bus lines etc,
and is doable bit not very efficient in terms of speed - OK for data logging
etc.

If you want to run linux on an ARM based  microcontroller chip, consider the
external bus devices from OKI, Atmel, Cirrus Logic etc.

If you want an inexpensive ARM7 platform to develop on, I have two for Sale,
a Bush Internet box and a WebPal internet box. Both versions have Linux
ports available. Do a search in google for more info and contact me if you
want them.

Cheers, VIncent

Re: Anyone one used this small ARM based board?
Maybe there is nothing. But the comment on capacitors indicates the guy
does not have much experience with this kind of design (his comment no
the quoted thread sounds somewhat stupid) and reducing capacitor count
for economy in this kind of design does not seem wise IMO (not to
mention from the pictures one can see no capacitor near the processor).
You may buy his board but be prepared to fix some problems. It might
"well work for days in testing" in his environment but who can
guarantees it will in yours?

Regards.

Re: Anyone one used this small ARM based board?
Check out the following from Logic:

http://www.logicpd.com/eps/sharp/devkits/sdk/default.php

They start out at $299.

-Z