Slide Mount with Set Screw

I don't know quite what I'm looking for but I need to do the following:

Approximately a 3' piece of something easily mountable on the ceiling.

A short (maybe 3-4") sliding movable element mounted on the ceiling piece with a locking set screw.

When set screw is loose, sliding movable element should slide easily, but not fall off.

Load (attached to sliding movable element) weighs only a few ounces.

Ideas?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Check with your local electrical supply house, ask for "Kindoff".

Reply to
SCADA

Thanks! Good lead...once I deduced it had to be spelled "Kindorf" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Ooops, Typo! Your right, of course!

Reply to
SCADA

Hello Jim,

If it has to slide really easy you could try cabinet drawer rails of the ball bearing type. The shortest ones I have seen were 12" and they are nice and flat (about 1/2" thick). The ones I used had holes that could accommodate a set screw. Now those heavy cabinet drawers can be operated with one finger.

You also might be able to use a short piece of track lighting rails plus one rider.

All at the hardware store.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Does it have to look nice?

If not, find your local Unistrut distributor, get a short length of channel and a single nut.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

Hello Tim,

I'd guess that Mrs.Thompson would voice objection here ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Naaah! It's in the garage. When new door openers were installed, my parking guide LEDs need a different mount. "N" is quite anxious to have them back up and operating... fitting a Q45 in a barely deep enough garage is challenging without the LED beam ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello Jim,

Do you still have the screw drive from the old opener? There are usually limit switches at both ends which can be freely moved along the aluminum track. They also have set screws. You should be able to mount the LED beam to one of these brackets unless it is really heavy.

We had the same problem, back in Europe. A huge Audi station wagon that had to be parked just right and two inches from the far end or you wouldn't even be able to get out. When we moved into this house I couldn't believe that they called it a two car garage. You could park two Texas Cadillacs in there and still have 10 feet left.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Illuminating the dash puts the LED about 2' toward the wall past the opener location. The mount of the old Genie Screw Drive (Junkus Maximus :) had angle iron sticking out that far.

I just put in two Chamberlain belt drive units... nice and quiet. Guaranteed forever. Installer told me that he had been installing them for 13 years... never replaced a single belt.

I'm (I think) going to use 1/2" thin wall conduit hung from the ceiling with conduit hangers, and a hanger to hold the LED mechanism.

I have two doors, one a two-car and one a single car width. The garages are amply wide... open the car doors fully. Just the peekup truck and Q45 length are such that proper parking avoids banging knees on bumpers ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello Jim,

High-tech. I have seen people using a simple rope and tennis ball that touches the windshield when the car is just parked right. It's power outage proof ;-)

Genies aren't that bad. Ours are at least 15 years old. When a relay hung in one of them I was quite impressed about what's inside. Two modular PCBs, with edge connectors and all. So I could take it out in a jiffy and fix the relay inside the house instead of on a ladder in the cold garage.

BTW, if you have an old scrap piece of copper pipe these can be used to position pointing devices by bending until it worketh.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Our village, having been laid out 400 years ago, lacks off- street parking. My car is in exactly the right place (to leave enough room for the neighbour's) when the C of "to the Church" is obscured by the nearside roof pillar.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke