RJ11

Hi,

Just a simple question.

I know RJ11 has 4 pins. For 6 pins version, is it still called RJ11? I know 8 pins version is called RJ45.

Thanks!

Reply to
terry

Better check out the following post - its best "RJ" guide I know of!

or

Kim Clay

Kim posted:

Hi,

Better check out the following post - its best "RJ" guide I know of!

c.edu&rnum=3

or

The RJ11 is a "6 position miniature modular jack," which uses pin 3 for the Ring wire and pin 4 for the Tip wire. In the RJ11 configuration the other positions are not used; if there are pins in positions 1, 2, 5, and 6, it is not relevant to the RJ11 configuration for wiring.

RJ11 is NOT a Registered Jack as erroneously stated in the two links. RJ denotes Registration Jack; they are of the Registration Program, but are NOT registered.

Both the 6 position and 8 position jacks are used in several RJ configurations. For examples, the 8 position jack may be used as a RJ41S, RJ45S, RJ61X, RJ4MB, RJ1CX, RJ48C, RJ48S.

When the 8 position jack is used in an Ethernet connection, it is NOT an RJ45, although many suppliers sell them that way.

Don

Reply to
Dbowey

Clarified a lot, but still have a question:

What is the physical difference between a RJ12 & RJ14 socket? They both are 6 positions and 4 pins, do the pin positions differ?

Thanks!

Reply to
terry

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ According to the "Abbreviations and Acronyms" page at "The Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS)

which _claims_ to represent "more than 350 communications companies"

RJ = registered jack.

The full "Abbreviations and Acronyms" page is located at:

If this definition is in error I am sure they will correct it upon notification.

Kim

Reply to
Kim Clay

No physical difference

No - they look identical but what the pins connect to differs.

Remember that this RJxx definition does not just define the physical characteristics of the jack. It's what the jack is connected to that defines its RJ number as well.

RJ12 6p4c single T/R line, with A/A1 for 1A2 lamp control (PBX) RJ14 6p4c two independent T/R lines

OK - Guessing - you got confused by a misleading statement from the guide above: "For example and RJ12 and RJ14 both use the same jack, but are wired the same." I think it is some cut-n-paste error. They are not wired the same.

Both RJ12 & RJ14 jacks are 6p4c jacks. The RJ14 contains two phone lines (a total of 4 conductors) & the RJ12 has one phone line & conductors for the A & A1 lamp control of a PBX (also a total of 4 conductors).

Kim

Reply to
Kim Clay