Toshiba D-VR610 DVD/VCR Combo always ejects

Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back. Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the tape, seat t he tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's a string of tap e not wound back into the cassette:

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of tapes, but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring the for mat forever. Thanks.

Reply to
jeffreyscottarnold

There's a faq about VCRs at http:

that even includes some photos of how the tape is supposed to wind. At least read that first before asking a vague question.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Michael Black wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@darkstar.example.org:

If ive read the model number off your youtube video correctly, its a Toshiba DVR-610. There appears to be a service manual online at: but it doesnt cover the details of the VCR mechaninsm.

95% odds its got deteriorated rubber parts, probably a drive belt or idler tyre, or maybe a friction clutch has gone bad. Its supposed to drive the takeup reel during the early stages of unloading to wind the loop of tape back into the cassette.

Basically it needs servicing. If you had the skills to do this, you wouldn't be asking here what's wrong with it and most of the combo units even from leading brand manufacturers were pretty cruddy to start with so it is probably not cost effective to have it serviced, even if parts are still obtainable.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL

Thank you sir for the info.

Reply to
jeffreyscottarnold

most likely perished rubber pulley tyre or drive band, or failed slip clutch or less likely something jammed under jockey-wheel swing arm

Reply to
N_Cook

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:12:25 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrot e:

y played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to dvd. Th en it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept the tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where there's a string of t ape not wound back into the cassette:

t would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before retiring the f ormat forever. Thanks.

Haven't touched a VCR in 10 years or more, but I seem to recall that by the time DVD recorders were being packaged with VHS decks, the VHS decks were all direct drive except for the capstan belt and possibly the take up belt.

Other than a stretched belt, I'd look more towards a bad position encoder s witch or broken tooth in one of the function racks.

Reply to
John-Del

This unit has the worst vcr mechanism I have ever seen. The gear drive that turns the take up hub and the braking system are so poorly designed that it is amazing that they work at all. My suggestion is to find an older vcr to play the tapes and run video and audio cables to a DVD recorder.

Reply to
chuck

As others said it may be a slipping belt or dirty position switch. In any case it may end accepting the tape if you try enough times. I've had that happen to me, by trying many times the switch may clean or the rubber improve grip.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

My take on that is a friction pad, just a piece of felt often glued to a copper spindle brake wrapped around the spindle.

At least that's what I've most often seen with that symptom.

A bit of felt glued back inside the brake will fix it easily in most cases.

OTOH you say it's a combo TV -VCR and those a royal PITA to take apart and put back together, so much so I refuse to work on any combos myself. YMMV

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Been a long time, but, if memory serves... There's a light pipe that pokes thru that hole in the bottom of the tape. There's a sensor on the edge of the tape. As I recall, mine had that symptom when there was some gunk on that sensor blocking the light.

Reply to
mike

Not in this case.. Watch the video again, the cylinder motor isn't running, which is why it's aborting the operation. The cylinder motor should spin the head up before the tape guides get anywhere near the head. Why the cap stan motor isn't taking up the slack during unload is another question. Th is machine came out long after I stopped doing VHS machines.

Reply to
John-Del

You say in the video that you had the unit for about 9 months, but below, you say that you purchased it a few years back. How many years? Did you buy it new, or was it used?

First off, you should check the power supply voltages to make sure they are OK. Maybe look for bulged caps.

Generally speaking, VCR's load the cartridge until the "tape down" switch is activated. Then, the posts should start wrapping the tape around the head.

I would guess that the "tape down" sensor/switch is working because it starts to load the tape around the head. However, the head doesn't spin, and the take-up reel doesn't turn when unloading.

Reply to
Matthew Fries