OT: Wireless Microphone

I'm looking for a wireless microphone setup for my wife to use at her various Girl Scout meetings.

The typical scenario is an awards ceremony at a church with a microphone on a cable, inconvenient for situations involving a long line of girls or leaders.

What I'd like to find is a unit that features wireless microphone(s) plus a *battery-powered* receiver such that she could just disconnect the regular microphone, connect the receiver and away you go.

Anyone know of such a device?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | | | Jim-T@analog_invalid.com Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat | |

| 1962 |

< Obtain E-mail Address at Website >

Why not get a pair of superheterodyne 49MHz walkie talkies, and use one for the transmitter and the other for the receiver? No stability issue, unlike LC tuned FM broadcast band wireless microphones. Since it's voice, no problem with the narrow deviation.

Obviously, you can buy crystal controlled wireless mics, but I assume they are considerably more than buying a pair of these walkie talkies at Radio Shack (assuming they are still being sold, FRS seems to have taken the limelight) or a garage sale. I've certainly been tempted to give them a trying in this application.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Radio Shack used to sell a wireless microphone pretty cheaply that would work with any FM radio. A plug from the radio to the mic input would be all you would need then to do what you want.

Cheers!

Chip Shults My robotics, space and CGI web page -

Sir Charles W. Shults III

I have experimented with many schemes and have come to one conclusion:

Rent a decent diversity system (like a Shure) from a music store for the day.

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

In article , Jim- T@analog_invalid.com mentioned...

Our media Svcs checks out this wireless and portable unit made by Samson.

It has a wireless mic, and the PA unit is portable and uses a rechargable batt. I found out that it Txed on 181. something MHz, oddly right in the middle of a TV channel. This unit is built well, and it's probably expensive, but then we use it out in the amphitheater, where it gets its share of abuse, hauled around, tossed in tbe back of cars, etc.

Don't be afraid to spend a bit on a decent system if you expect it to stay working for more than a few months. BTW make sure it uses space diversity reception with two antennas.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

Too much interference from cordless phones.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'

Several. What is the budget?

Reply to
Richard Crowley

It'll be out of my pocket, but say $200.

*Note*, receiver must be *battery-powered*. My surfing yielded none.

...Jim Thompson

I remember seeing a couple of 49 and 70 MHz wireless mic solutions when I was in there last. Not sure on the receiver taking batteries as is, but of course an external battery pack is easy.

Reply to
Dave VanHorn

How about a wind-up generator powered one? Or if you're using the FM broadcast band any big boom box (shoulder carried portable stereo as is common in LA and NYC..) should suffice.

Billy Y..

Reply to
abuse

Or renting makes sense here too. Especially if from a shop with decent maintenance personnel.

Diversity is best with 10 wavelengths or more between antennas, which doesn't sound very feasable in this application. Just a couple 1/4 wave whips sticking out of the back of the receiver won't buy you much in the way of protection against dropouts.

Billy Y..

Reply to
abuse

Sure, most brands of Camcorders sell them as an option. I'd suggest the RCA, but since it died after less than 10 years of use, I won't.

I used one to record my daughters wedding back around 1992.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Samson make a airline system which is a battery powered receiver and a small snap-on type transmitter which will plug on to any dynamic cable microphone. model AM1AX1

regards, Tarkan

Reply to
Tarkan Akdam

Here's a link to a Radio Shack unit that looks reasonably good. It comes with a mike and receiver. Some years ago I gave one, not as good as this one, to a friend who taught dance lessons. It did a good job.

Don

Audio-Technica 200 Series Freeway Handheld Wire?

Reply to
Dbowey

All in the

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Mr. Microphone

Any boom-box with a line-out.

You can battery power the boom-box, tune it to Mr. Microphone's FM-band frequency, and link it to the existing mixer.

--Blair "You'll just get snickers from the other geeks in the AV club."

Reply to
Blair P. Houghton

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Ebay item 2551554721

-- Thanks, Frank Bemelman (remove 'x' & .invalid when sending email)

Reply to
Frank Bemelman

you

The one that was xtal controlled wasn't too bad, but it was underpowered. The one that was a clone of Mr. Microphone was just a worthless toy.

If you plug the output of your radio into a mic jack, you must use an attenuator. Usually a 100k and 1k inside the plug will work okay.

--

----------------(from OED Mini-Dictionary)----------------- PUNCTUATION - Apostrophe Incorrect uses: (i) the apostrophe must not be used with a plural where there is no possessive sense, as in ~tea's are served here~; (ii) there is no such word as ~her's, our's, their's, your's~.

Confusions: it's = it is or it has (not 'belonging to it'); correct uses are ~it's here~ (= it is here); ~it's gone~ (= it has gone); but ~the dog wagged its tail~ (no apostrophe).

----------------(For the Apostrophe challenged)---------------- From a fully deputized officer of the Apostrophe Police!

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included, so I had to buy them again.

-- Steven Wright

FOR SALE: Nice parachute: never opened - used once.

F o d d e r

f o r

s t u p i d

n o t

e n o u g h

i n c l d u d e d

t e x t

e r r o r

m s g .

Reply to
Lizard Blizzard

I didn't think about rentals, but this is even better. Rent a setup and if it works out, and you're still interested, buy it. If it doesn't work, you don't have a bundle of money tied up in it.

note to spammers:  a Washington State resident
Matter cannot be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned without a
receipt.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Renting music equipment is typically pretty affordable. I remember renting an 800W head, two full-range driver cabinets with stands, various instrument stands, mics, etc. for about $45 a day. Of course, this was 10 years ago...

Reply to
Mark Jones