MIT Radiation Lab series on CD-ROM?

Has the MIT Radiation Lab series been scanned/digitized and made available on CD-ROM? If so, let me know where to buy it. Poking around Amazon and MIT websites didn't help.

I've picked up several paper volumes from technical libraries getting shut down (Bell Labs in NJ was really useful, I got a lot of other good older stuff there) and I wish I could justify the shelf space for a 28 volume series. But putting it all on CD-ROM would be so useful!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Yes. Lots of Google hits. ISBN 1-58053-074-5).

John

Is this the old MIT Radar Lab series (which I know exists) or the MIT Radiation Lab Series which, given that MIT doesn't operate a reactor to my knowledge, seems improbable?

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

yes, a nuclear reactor. The building where radar was developed was quite famous it seems. The other building, not so famous, I heard was left mostly uninhabited until the early 1990's after which it was demolished. And if my memory serves me correctly, if you walk down the tourist route from M.I.T. to Harvard, a couple blocks up on the left, not far from a food shop, there is a giant green dome with uncommonly thick cement walls that looks like the casing for some sort of reactor.

-Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

WebBooks - List price: $325 ... "Sorry! This CD is currently out of print; no reprint has been scheduled."

Artech House - $ 403

reiters.com - $ 403

Ouch!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

See, for example

The printed copies on my desk are improbable, huh? :-)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

The was a nuclear reactor right there on the corner of Vassar (or maybe it was Albany... it's only been 43 years :) and Mass Ave.

There was also a diner there, which we affectionately called "The Radioactive Grill" ;-)

That's pretty funny... "...TOURIST route from M.I.T. to Harvard..." It was a slum when I was a student there... 1958-1962.

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, but a complete set of books will hit you a couple of grand. Or thou. Whatever.

John

They were/are the MIT Radiation Laboratory Series, 27 volumes, and they are all about radar. "Radiation" was a WWII deception to hide the actual function of the labs.

John

Hi,

The 28-volume 'MIT Radiation Laboratory Series' was published in the late '40s and this is what is being referred to here. The word 'Radiation' was included in the name in the fall of 1940 to help coverup what was actually being developed there. At the time atomic theory was an open secret and so it was hoped this would deflect any unwelcome interest; a large proportion of the initial team being physicists. Over the last decade I have collected 24 of the series, only needing "(5) Pulse Generators", "(6) Microwave Magnetrons", "(10) Waveguide Handbook" and "(13) Propagation of Short Radio Waves" to complete the set. I live in hope. Cheers - Joe

Reply to
Joe McElvenney

ISBN 1-58053-078-8

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I purchased the entire original set from a fellow at the MIT flea market a few years ago, paid about $700 IIRC, and one of my friends said I'd overpaid.

I suppose the searchable aspect is useful. Are these nice scanned .pdf files run through Adobe Capture, so they also have the underlying searchable clip-board-copyable text?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Most universities have small nuclear reactors, no?

But anyway, EM radiation != nuclear radiation.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It seems to get good reviews, and I've had the pleasure of perusing John's set. I just ordered the CD version, we'll see.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You didn't.

John

The description I read refers only to searching by keywords.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks Joe. This is what I believed to be the case, but since it has been at least 20 years since a saw any volume of this series, I had forgotten that it was The Radiation Lab Series and not the Radar Lab Series.

The old MIT Radar Lab is still alive and well, but now operating as Lincoln Laboratories out of Hanscom AFB in Lexington. Another MIT spinoff is Mitre Corporation in Burlington, MA.

Kindest regards, Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Spehro, sadly no.

The City of Cambridge, MA where MIT is located specifically prohibits them, together with a prohibition on recombinational DNA research. Still, this does not mean that either doesn't exist -- simply not admitted to. Still, Cambridge clings to the false notion that it remains an academic community! :-)

So far as I am aware, the only operating nuclear reactor in the greater Boston area is located at the University of Lowell, about 30-miles northwest of Boston (and even they keep a very low profile in the local community).

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

There definitely was a living, working reactor there when I was a student.

Sheeesh! Massa2shits is one of the most screwed up states. Shows what can happen when THE CHURCH calls all the shots. And they actually vote for Democrats up there ;-)

I got cited for driving nails on Sunday. But I skipped town before that and the arrest warrant for refusing to pay the poll tax could be brought to court.

I stopped at the Connecticut/M'ass line and pissed on Massa2shits ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I can spare a #13, but it would be the ugly grey reprint, not the original maroon. If you want it, email me something I can use as a shipping label.

Anybody got an extra maroon 24?

John