[OT?] Cleaning of scratched CD's

Hello.

[sorry for the cross posting]

Is there any *cheap* way to remove scratches from scratched CD's (both audio and data disks)?

Thanks.

-- © 2004 Chaos Master | "I'm going under, Posting from Brazil! | drowning in you ICQ: 126735906 / | I'm falling forever, UnderNet: FreeB5D | I've got to break through"

---------------------. -- Evanescence, "Going Under"

Reply to
Chaos Master

There's nothing magic about CDs; any plastic polish should work. Here's some fairly common stuff as a starting point:

You could get a single bottle for less than $3 and use an old rag for the polishing cloth. I don't think it's going to get much cheaper than that.

Polish the bottom side only or you'll be very sorry.

Reply to
Terran Melconian

I have used fine polishing compound for acrylic paint. This is available under the Turtlewax name in most areas.

It comes in a cream type form, and can be worked in with a soft cloth or tissue. You can mix water with it to make it even more fine. Apply as required. With some practice, it will be very effective.

Rinse of with water, and then try the CD disk with a soft tissue.

Do not polish the label side of a CD disk.

Jerry G.

--

Chaos Master  wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> [sorry for the cross posting]
>
> Is there any *cheap* way to remove scratches from scratched CD's (both audio
and
> data disks)?
>
> Thanks.
Reply to
Jerry Greenberg

The classic mild abrasive is toothpaste. The motion should go from the spindle hole to the edge

--NEVER *around* the disk (no circles).

Is (was) TechTV a good enough authority? Google cache of Page 1: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:PhWqH9sj0NYJ:

Google cache of Page 2: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:jVFfAI3V3kMJ:

JeffM

Allegedly, another trick that works on apparently undamaged but skipping disks, is to get a pot of just-boiling water and float the disk foil side down on the surface for about a minute then take it out and let it dry.

No ideas why it works, but it may do something to the layer interface and/or front plastic.

Might try that as a "finishing touch" after polishing to get the last of the scratches out. YMMV!

-A

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:PhWqH9sj0NYJ:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:jVFfAI3V3kMJ:

Andre

Terran Melconian ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu) caused an illegal operation in module :

I will try this, thanks.

--
© 2004 Chaos Master  | "I'm going under,
Posting from Brazil! |  drowning in you
ICQ: 126735906 /     |  I'm falling forever,
UnderNet: FreeB5D    | I've got to break through"
---------------------.  -- Evanescence, "Going Under"
Reply to
Chaos Master

On Wed 09 Jun 2004 11:44:21am EDT, one who goes by the pseudonym "JeffM" said in alt.cdrom:

Better yet, try Brasso. I've used it on many previously unplayable library CDs with excellent results.

    _T o m_

" A: Top posting!

  > Q: What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?"
            -- David Nebenzahl
Guest Pest

Brasso contains organic solvents. I would think water-based is the way to go.

Reply to
JeffM

On Tue 06 Jul 2004 01:15:32pm EDT, one who goes by the pseudonym "JeffM" said in alt.cd-rom:

Which means what? The mild solvent does no harm to the polycarbonate material, other than polishing it. Just use it in a well ventilated area, as directed.

BTW, as mentioned in the results chart from the previously posted page, toothpaste is indeed useless.

--
    _T o m_

Guest Pest

I Burn a lot of CDRW and DVD-RW for movies I download. When it gets to a spot where it locks up in my standalone player, I take the disk out and wash it in warm water and dry it with a towel, this works about

75% of the time.

snipped-for-privacy@manuals4you.com

Reply to
Are you kidding?

You can also use something like MacGuires Chrome Polish. Can get it at typical Auto Parts House. otherwise be sure it's compatable with aluminum since this will not have any chemical reaction with any part of the CD.

If you know where you're going Well, there you are.

Reply to
Prime Time