Proper cleaning of an IC

Hello Group,

I am interested if there is an industry standard on the simple cleaning of a dirty IC of general grime (dirt, skin oils, grease, etc). I am thinking acetone or isopropyl alcohol should be ok. I searched SemiconFarEast.com for articles but came up empty. Is there an industry standard for general cleaning of a chip? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Kingcosmos

soapy water works.

Reply to
cbarn24050

** Never use soap or washing powder - they are alkaline ( caustic) and will corrode metal..

Ordinary dishwashing liquid ( ie detergent) is fine - the rinse with warm water and hot air dry.

( Beware: Dishwasher liquid is also caustic. )

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

you had got it right buddy..........

"isopropyl" is the best solution.But remember one good technique that i learnt about it... isopropyl evaporates quickly when poured directly on the board...

instead what u do is take a very small piece of cloth or cotton bud(ear bud); dip in isopropyl and then clean it.... dont forget to close the bottle cap.... also i generally prefer to take small amount of isopropyl in a seperate small bottle so that u can dip the same old bud again and also prevent wastage....

also it helps avoid accidents like dropping the bottle and damaging other things...

Caution: Use gloves and face mask to be on a safer side...(its not that harmfull,but u must take precautions)

Also if while using it u feel burning sensation in ur nose or eyes, stop its use immediately. I have learnt that some people are allergic to it but it is never noticed....(actully its Vapor causes it)

Reply to
KruSat

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You *must* ??? !!!

I've never needed to do that with isopropyl used in small quantities.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Apparently KruSat has never heard of an "alcohol rub." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise