8-pin LCC socket

I'm looking to mount a chip that comes in an 8-pin LCC package (5 mm x

5 mm x 2 mm ceramic). However, I've yet to be able to find a socket or adapter (under $50) to accept an 8-pin LCC chip. Is there any suppliers for 8-pin LCC sockets or adapters that I'm not aware of/haven't found yet? I'd prefer to convert it to a DIP type socket, but am open to whatever I can find...

For reference, the part I'm looking to mount is located here:

Thanks in advance, Dave

Reply to
dave.harper

The units you are looking at, are adapters designed for applications like programmers, inserting test heads etc., hence the pricing. Generally unless a part needs to be removed for programming, a surface mount part would just be soldered in place. The cheapest solution if you just need to remove the IC assembly, or want to only have DIL layouts on the main board, would just be to use an interposer board, with the IC layout in the centre, and two pad rows for DIL headers at the edges. If however the chip really needs to be socketted for some reason, then the pricing will depend massively on the quantity involved. For mass production, a system like:

Will give the shortest interconnection, and in bulk, a good price. I don't know if it is one of the ones you have found, but Loranger part no: 03450 081 6215, might be the required socket, and should be available a lot cheaper than the sort of pricing you are mentioning.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Fantastic. I believe that Loranger socket may be what I'm looking for. I'm inquiring about the contact locations to make sure the contacts will match up. Hopefully they accomodate small orders.

Regarding interposer boards, are most custom made? Or are there any commercially available boards that would fit this chip? I'm basically looking for any way to mount and connect this chip. (I'm a mechanical engineer by degree, which might explain the basic questions)

Thanks again for the help, Dave

Reply to
dave.harper

There are commercial interposer boards, but generally, unless you need thousands off, it is cheaper to just make a custom board. Remember that there are prototyping PCB board companies who price only by area, so you can just do an artwork for a dozen such boards, and the cost will probably only be a couple of dollars each.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

sparkfun.com does a number of breakout boards for analog accelerometers

- I'd reccomend looking there.

Reply to
Michael J. Noone