Mouse driver IC pinout

Hi,

I am trying to use the trackball from an old laptop and would ideally like to connect to a PC using the standard PS/2 interface. However, the driver IC is made by Logitech and I cannot find the pinout for this device. I realise that it is made specifically for Logitech but I don't know where to find a pinout for it, if one even exists. I could try poking around with logic probes and might be able to identify some of the connections, but as I only have one of them I don't really want to destroy it by applying the wrong polarity etc!

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction!

Thanks

Angus Thomson

Reply to
Angus Thomson

Not only is it almost certainly a proprietary, full-custom IC, but there are almost certainly more than one version/ variety/generation used during the life-cycle of Logitech's mouse product line.

Your best bet is likely to just trace back and document how the current mouse is wired. Note where the optical interrupter modules and switches are connected. Then connect to corresponding pins on a "conventional" external mouse chip.

I wouldn't think you would need anythying beyond a meter and pencil & paper.

Mice are so cheap, in many places you can get 2nd hand or discarded ones for free.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

depending on your mouse, the IC may be a MC68705P3 /P5 or a MC68HC705J1. if it is a MC68705P3/P5 I can extract the code for you. if it is a J1 you may read the program with a programmer, or if it is a masked microcontroller , I don't know so far. Just download the datasheet on this page:

or
logitech used to manufacture the mouses from I.B.M. regards, MB.

Angus Thoms>

Reply to
Matthieu Benoit