Separate ground for *each* circuit?

I need to run six 12 ga circuits from the breaker panel to the new construction (4 bathrooms).

Do I need to run one 12 ga ground conductor for each of these circuits? Or can I share a single, larger ground conductor between all of them. For example, can I run a 10 ga (or larger?) ground conductor and branch that to four 12 ga conductors near the load?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

DaveC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

you dont *need* to run grounds for all 4, but, if weighted correctly, your car doesn't *need* 4 wheels. it is imperative to run them for at least 2 reasons: 1, its a code violation not to (at least in the US). 2: if anything ever shorts out or something like that, its always nice to know that things are properly grounded and wont be transferring the load of power from the short and whatever else is in-line with that one ground.

people generally rub 3 conductor romex type wire (as i think is actually a code requirement) from the breaker panels for "normal" household watages. which includes 2 grounds and a hot. anyway, as it is a safety issue, i would run the grounds.

-Sam

Reply to
Voltaic

In the UK you would run a single cable containing two cores and an earth wire in a ring out and back to the board. You get an earth "free" for each ring/circuit.

CWatters

The UK is unusual in having fused plugs as standard. 13A max in each plug, and 30A at the panel for each ring. They're also allowed to spur one outlet off each ring outlet. That's why the proposed 16A euro standard died, the Brits would need fused outlets and didn't want it.

Ring circuits are not used much elsewhere in the world. They're actually illegal in some places.

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)

If you're trying to reduce the number/size of cables you're running from the breaker panel to the new construction, another way is to put in a sub-panel somewhere in the new construction. Then you'd run a single set of wires (hot + neutral + ground) from your existing box to the new one, and the new box would contain six circuit breakers, one for each circuit it's supplying.

There are a bunch of regulations having to do with sub-panels, but if the new construction is far away from the existing breaker box, it might be worth jumping through the regulatory hoops to put in a subpanel.

--
      Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to

If running conduit and building wire then only one ground is requires for the entire conduit regardless of the number of circuits. Ground must be sized for the largest circuit in the conduit. 20 amp/12 ga. wire would need one #12 ground. If you are running any type of cable - NMB, MC, AC - then each would contain it's own ground. Bathrooms are now required to have dedicated circuits similar to small appliance branch circuits in kitchens. Sorry I can't give exact details as my code book is not available and I don't do residential.

Reply to
Jim Hancock

We need more details. Your location will change what rules apply. Is this residentail or commercial. Four baths makes me think commercial which requires a licenced electricial in most places. Are we talking romex or conduit?

-Chris

Reply to
chris