Laser-based display?

Hi folks,

I'm interested in creating a display device that I can build cheaply and which can cast an image onto a wall, whether the wall is near or far.

Imagine I'm walking down the street, I take a box out of my jacket, flick a switch, and a laser begins drawing an image onto the wall of a large building.

Ideally I'd like to have a computer inside the unit that will have enough battery-backed storage to hold several images.

I am thinking that drawing scan lines like a CRT would greatly simplify the mirror motions.

Ideally, if several colors of lasers could be combined, perhaps a video signal could be used as input to draw a video onto a wall.

Can anyone tell me if this has been done before, and how far the idea has been taken?

Thanks.

Reply to
yubbers9

Hmm, I think you should check out some Issac Asmiov patents

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

You're looking for a pocket-sized equivalent of the laser projectors used for light shows. If you are physically able to move several hundred pounds of batteries, you can have almost any size display you want ;-)

Reply to
John

On 07/10/2006 the venerable snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com etched in runes:

Elektor magazine published one this month. Have a look here:

On

--
John B
Reply to

If you want a rasterized image, a DLP projector is simpler, brighter and faster than a mechanically scanned laser.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

--
Something like this, perhaps? :

http://www.batmannews.de/gotham_multimedia/bat_art/pics_big/Cat_signal.jpg
Reply to
John Fields

Take a peek at this:

Apparently small green lasers aren't powerful enough to project yet so no full colour.

--
| Brendan Gillatt						|
|  brendan {at} brendan \removethis// gillatt {dot} co {dot} uk |

Thanks Brendan, I've found more on that.

yubbers9