large FIFO buffer

Hello all,

I am in the middle of laying out a design for a medical device the reads in data pretty quickly (~20MHz) in bursts, but is limited to a slow serial connection to transfer the data. The solution that comes to my mind is a large FIFO buffer (~100k+) that can take an 8-bit parallel input, but I can't find them anywhere in a reasonable price range. I've looked all over at the common manufactures of logic devices (TI,nationalsemi) and some distributors (digikey,mouser) but can't find much. I hear of hard drives with 512k buffers/caches quite commonly. what am I missing here?

Does anyone know of a model/part# of a pretty high speed, 100k+ fifo buffer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards, Adam Kumpf snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu

Adam Kumpf

Dunno about input speed, but lots of folks back in the dark ages used to make parallel printer buffers, I've got a Heathkit kicking around somewhere that had parallel and serial inputs and outputs...

Can you throttle the input by handshaking slower? If so, that'd look like the ideal solution for some kind of PIC. If not, you probably have to build a high-speed buffer, which isn't rocket science, and use a micro to spool it out.

How about a digital data capture board for a PeeCee?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith