help ... 12 volt question

Ok, here's the problem. I added flush LP mount lights to the front of my motorcycle(ditching the huge stalks/signals) and they look great. Problem is they're 23 watt instead of 28 watts (1157 bulb) and the signals flash quickly. Is there any way to slow them down???? There is no other flasher available for my make of motorcycle, they only make one kind and it's meant for the original bulbs/hardware.

does anyone know anything about this stuff? is there a resistor or diode or (whatever, I have no clue) that I can put in line to increase load?

I talked to an electrician and an electronics dude and tried to wire up a resistor (10W on the body of the resistor, looks fairly heavy duty) but it does not work. It's hooked up in series (like it's supposed to) but doesn't change the way the signal flashes.

Next I hooked up a small 12V mini bulb to increase the load, both the mini bulb and the LP 21 watt bulb flash but they still flash quickly.

The only thing that does work is hooking up the original 1157 bulb along with the LP 21 watt flasher ... now it flashes properly. Only catch is ... is this too much load for my bike to handle? Everything seems nice and bright but where am I supposed to hide this monster bulb?

Does anyone know if a resistor with the same resistance as an 1157 will work? Obviously the 2 guys I spoke to weren't proficient in this problem I have with wiring/load/wattage. (one guy told me to hook up a xmas light since it's 7 watts (duh, a xmas light runs on AC 120) .....

Cmon there must be someone out there that can help! I really don't want to start wiring in other bulbs and stuffing them in the fairing.

Thanks in advance, hope someone can help me on this

Craig

Reply to
Craig Pakkala

I am guessing that the load is too high. If the flasher is a bimetallic type, the way it works is that the load current flows through the bimetal strip and heats it which causes it to warp and interrupt the circuit. More current means that it flashes faster because it heats faster and warps faster. This does not agree with what you posted about the wattage ratings???

My advice is to find a flasher that matches the load ... there are lots of them available.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I have heard that turn signals on many cars blink faster if a bulb burns out. I surely think also though that more current rather than less would speed up the blink rate of a blinker with a bimetal strip, but I have seen cars with a burnt out bulb and blinking fast. Does anyone know the explanation?

Meanwhile, to convert a 23 watt load to a 28 one at 14 volts requires drawing approx. .36 amp. Divide that into 14 volts and this means you need a 39 ohm resistor, which is a standard value. Get a 10 watt one of the "sandstone bock" style, since those are cheap. And beware that they get hot - I believe that if you drip egg yolk or egg white onto them, it will fry at as little as 4 watts.

Don Klipstein

is

I might be wrong but if the new wattage is lower than before I would expect them to flash more slowly not faster.

Reply to
CWatters