Could LED xmas lights be made to look like the old Incan Flasher Bulbs?

During the holiday, I saw a tree with the old C9 incan flasher bulbs. Those are the bulbs which have an internal bi-metal contactor which causes that bulb to flash on and off.

I was thinking that the modern LED light strings can do all sorts of effects, such as chaser motions, color changing, and much more. But I dont see any way to make individual LEDs to randomly flash like these old C7 or C9 bulbs.

I'm assuming that it's possible, but each LED in a string would need to be wired individually, and each LED have it's own flasher, which operates at a different speed from others on that string.

Even then, I doubt the EXACT effect would occur, because the incan bulbs have a slight "fade" as they light up and turn off, whereas a LED is instant ON or OFF.

How difficult would it be to mimic the effect of these old C7 and C9 Flasher bulbs, and how would it be achieved?

Reply to
boomer#6877250

With a custom flasher chip that could be built into each LED for a pretty low cost, and a plastic light waveguide inside the bulb to make it look like a filament. It wouldn't cost much in the large quantities it would sell, so I don't know why it's not available.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Already for sale: More: Schematics:

What I want are squirrel proof Christmas (Hannukah) lights. Every year, I have to resolder the wires thanks to the squirrels.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

There are "simulated incandescent filament" lights that are really LED's in disguise:

I couldn't find one that's the same size as a Hanukkah, err... Christams tree light, but some are close if one downsizes the LED's.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Anything can be done if you throw enough hardware at it. In this case, LED Christmas lights are series strung, so if one goes out a lot of lights go with it. This isn't uncommon in incandescent strings, either. The mini-lights are usually the same. You could blink 50 (give or take) adjacent lights at once with the common strings fairly easily. To blink one at a time, I guess you could either drive the string with a current source and short the "off" LEDs, rather than opening the circuit or substitute a resistor for the "off" LEDs. Either are possible but not trivial.

Simply a matter of more hardware/software. The switch (from above) can PWM (pulse-width-modulate) the LED in an on-off-on-off pattern to mimic the incandescent lamp. Again, it's "just" hardware/software.

Not "difficult" but not $6 (retail) for 150 LED strings, either. I'd guess 100x that much $$, but I don't know how they do it for $6 either.

Reply to
krw

You could use 4 microchip PIC microprossors (16F628) to control 15 lights each for a string of 45 lights. The processors are cheap at $1.80 each and can supply 10 milliamps to each LED. But it requires a software program to randomly flash the LEDs or do whatever desired patterns. It also requires a lot of wiring for each LED to the processors. I have a 50 Xmas light star display that runs on a PC desktop running QBasic DOS 6.2. It uses a separate PC power supply for the 5 volts to power the lights. It does all sorts of patterns and sequences the lights right, left, random, and so forth. I spent a couple months figuring out the patterns I wanted.

.

.

Bill Bowden

ISTR years ago seeing self flashing LEDs for 5v or 12v. Lots in parallel would be close, but no fade.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You need to get rid of the lead free squirrels. ;-)

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.