Electric miniscooter charinging from 12v motorhome alternator?

I don't know if this is the best group, if not please let me know appropriate group to post to.

I'd like to get two of the entry-level miniscooters for doing shortrange 'grocery' runs and keep them in my motorhome. I would like to be able to charge them when on the road from my alternator output, not 120v generator power.

I see a lot of those cheap miniscooters say they are 24v... are they TWO 12v batteries that I could wire a 'custom charge lead' for and run them in parallel for charging and then PLUG IN to the miniscooter when ready to use? I have never seen these scooters, and was hoping someone can point me in the direction of one that allows me to get it back to the raw 12volt batteries instead of a sealed 24volt battery that I can't easily charge.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Brand sepcific suggestions that will meet my needs (for under $200) would be awesome.

Thanks a bunch! ~Brendan

Reply to
WildIrish

Why not just charge them with their included 120v charger but run it from an inverter if you don't want to use your generator?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I aagree. This is the cheapest and easiest way to do it. Just make sure your alternator had the extra capacity to do this.

I have seen installations where a second alternator was added to handle non-automotive loads.

Al

Reply to
Al

id probably do some googling, see whats out there. if all the ones youve been finding use a sealed 24v battery, then youre SOL.

im no battery expert, but it seems to me theyd go for whatever the cheapest solution is. gel-cell packs are relatively cheap and have been used for YEARS in power wheels (ride-on toys)6v/12v applications. 12v versions are 2 6v batteries fed into the same harness.

look up the specs for whatever youre interested in. any DECENT manufacturer would list the specs, maybe in a .pdf file.

i have a feeling they might use smaller cells in sequence... think "D" or "C" size rechargeables in an array, like they use in cordless tools.

Reply to
SoCalMike

Well running them through an inverter is electrically inefficient; 12v

-> 120v -> 24v Besides my theory was that running it off the alternator would provide improved charge rate over the 'wall-charger' they likely come with.

Does anyone know first hand if these batteries are two 12v batteries? I have googled the heck out of it and haven't turned up any specific info on how the batteries are configured, sure see a lot of sealed 24v units.

Any> id probably do some googling, see whats out there. if all the ones youve

Reply to
WildIrish

We don't know. We don't know which scooter you're referring to. We're good yes, but not that good.

Grab a 24v alternator and modify the motorhome.

There's ALOT of unknowns here, such that if the practical mechanical and/or electrical skills aren't there, then it's not going to happen. This is likely Microsoft's fault..

Reply to
Aly

If the scooter uses two 12 volt batteries to get 24 volts, removing the batteries to connect them to a 12 volt charging source will get old very quickly. In addition, since these scooters use sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries, be very cautious about an "improved charge rate". Exceeding the manufacturer's specified charge rate can cause the battery to vent the excess gas produced, making it no longer a sealed cell and (often) leading to swift failure of the battery.

For charging a 24 volt battery, find or build a 12->24 converter to provide the voltage needed for charging and add the current limiting needed to protect the battery.

Or accept the inefficiency of a 90% efficient DC->AC inverter and the provided charger.

Or buy some solar panels that can provide 24 volts at an acceptable charge rate. No connection to your electrical system, totally green in use, and only $150 or so.

John

Reply to
John

Well, I obviously don't know what particular scooters you're thinking of. But I have a larger electric scooter that uses four 12v batteries in series. So it's not impossible that your scooter would use two 12v batteries. I suggest finding a dealer and calling/emailing them.

--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to

The charge rate is probably limited by their battery technology not the charger.

Even if the process is inefficient the absolute ammount of energy wasted is likely to be small. If you want to save energy don't drive motorhome around.

Reply to
CWatters

I would try Voltage Forum at

(disclaimer: Just an occasi> I don't know if this is the best group, if not please let me know

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - take out TRAS

Well there Wild Irish if youy budget is that small then all you will be getting in Scooters is Chinese ones (we hate the Chinese ones) the very people that have ruined the American Scooter bussiness by stealing our designs building dad designes Scooters that are literally unsafe becouse of bad metalergy with bad welds,poor assembly techniques (in some cases Scooters ahve been known to be shipped with non-working braking systems and people have been literally killed) poor workmanship,faulty parts, no parts network to speak of (what do you expect from 50 cent an hour labor) so to say the least the Chinese Scooters are a mess. However if you want an American Scooter then its Boxer or Goped and they will cost you (between $500 and $1000 depending on the model of sooterand there are many in the product lines of both manufactures) but they are Quality product so there ya go you pay for what you get much less the ethical issues of buying American when you can ! As far as the charging of your electric Scooter goes use an inverter between your RV's system and the Scooter .Then use the charger that comes with your Scooter to plug into the RV's inverter (if its Chinese it will be out board and seperate from the Scooter) if it is American it will be built in ! You start to get my point about the American stuff ? Its elegant and very cool indeed to say the least ! The American Electrics are pound for pound more good looking units faster and way better made !!! We have a saying about the Chinese product if you still want to buy them at all "Get three one to ride and two for parts" becouse in the end you will really need them !.......Ped Racer D

P.S. Ther are no really cheap and easy rides if you spend good money you will get something that will last. However if you cheap it with the chinese product you will pay in the end in over all satisfaction of performance and you will replace almost everything on the Chinese Scooter in the end repeatadly over and over again and again !!!......Prd

WildIrish wrote: I don't know if this is the best group, if not please let me know appropriate group to post to. I'd like to get two of the entry-level miniscooters for doing shortrange 'grocery' runs and keep them in my motorhome. I would like to be able to charge them when on the road from my alternator output, not 120v generator power. I see a lot of those cheap miniscooters say they are

24v... are they TWO 12v batteries that I could wire a 'custom charge lead' for and run them in parallel for charging and then PLUG IN to the miniscooter when ready to use? I have never seen these scooters, and was hoping someone can point me in the direction of one that allows me to get it back to the raw 12volt batteries instead of a sealed 24volt battery that I can't easily charge. Any suggestions are appreciated! Brand sepcific suggestions that will meet my needs (for under $200) would be awesome. Thanks a bunch ! ~Brendan
Reply to
Ped Racer D

You don't need an improved charge rate, it will shorten the life of your batteries and possibly cause them to explode in your face. Adding a second alternator is inneficient and not a minor undertaking. Modern inverters are cheap and efficient, plus you can charge cellphones, camcorders etc. The main point though is that you will be able to charge a scooter regardless of type and still have the advantage of whatever inteligent charging and temperature supervision it offers. Tone.

Reply to
Juan Skinner

Well Wild Irish you caused a fire storm of posts out here which is very cool ! It seems that a lot of people are interested in your electric Scooter inquiry. The post are very welcome out here and I hope that all of you keep posting out here on Scooter related issues ! Thanks again to all for posting out here and good luck to all in the future from the Alt. !..........Ped Racer D