Digital Camera Sensitive to a measely 25 mV??

I put a set of four Lenmar "No-Mem" NI-MH cells into my CP-990, and turned it on. The battery indicator showed them as 1/4 charged, even tho I had charged them just 6 weeks ago. I took 'em out and measured them with the DMM, and they measured 1.297 V, all four within a few thousandths of a volt. This is a reasonable value for cells that have set for a month, and indicated they have discharged somewhat, but _nowhere_near_ down to 1/4 charge. I do this regularly, and have done it many, many times since I've had the camera without a problem. The cells are always at least 3/4 charged.

So I took out a set of four Panasonic Ni-MH cells and measured them, and they all four measured real close to 1.322V, only 25 mV more than the No-mems. They had been sitting for a few weeks, too, maybe not as long as the No-mems. I put them in, and the camera battery indicator said they were fully charged(!)

So now, is this .025 V difference going to make that much difference? I put the No-mems in a charger and I'll try them tomorrow when they've charged for a dozen or so hours. I'll see then if they're having some problem. Any thoughts? Maybe I should stop buying these Lenamar No-Mem

2000 MaH cells and pay an additional $4 or $5 a set for the Panasonic Ni-MHs or Rayovacs or Energizer Bunnies (hey, it's easter!) On second thought, since they were having a sale on Alkalines - four for a buck or less, maybe I should just go back to the throwaways?? Thanks.
Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

Batteries don't really change much in open-circuit voltage during the useful life, rather the internal resistance increases so you get less voltage out *under load*. You need to measure the voltage under a comparable load to what the camera draws to see how dead they are.

NiMH cells have a fairly high self-discharge rate.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Measring the open circuit voltage of a NiMH cell isn't too useful, to properly gauge capacity left you must measure under load.

Reply to
repatch

Here is a testing procedure for NiMH cells under load that I think I got from someone one in this group. It's been very useful for sorting out camera battery packs:

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Get a 0.3 - 0.5 ohm resistor and a pair of alligator clip leads.

Attach one clip to the resistor and the other to the red probe of your VOM. Repeat for the other end of the resistor and black VOM lead.

Put the VOM in voltage mode, 2V scale.

Put the red VOM lead on the plus terminal and the black on the minus. If the voltage reads about 0.8V or better it's pretty sure you have a good but mostly discharged battery. Above 1.1V the battery still has useful charge.

Less than 0.8V: it may be a heavily discharged good battery or it may be one that has lost significant capacity.

If it's zero, remove one clip from a probe and measure the voltage again, if its still zero this is probably a dead battery, but I'd put it on the charger for ten minutes or so and see if it comes off zero, if not then throw it away.

The totally dead ones are easy to find, its the ones that have lost capacity that screw up the pack performance. Fully charge all batteries. Use them as a pack. When the device stops working due to low battery, check the batteries as above. Any battery that has 0.2-0.3 lower voltage than the rest when tested under load has probably lost capacity and should be discarded from the pack.

Like a chain, the pack's performance is limited by the weakest battery.

----------"

I've found also that putting the apparently weak cells through one or more conditioning cycles can in many cases bring them back to full capacity.

Reply to
Martin

But I had charged them Feb 14, about a month and a half ago. And all four measured within a few mV of each other, implying that they were all four charged the same. Yes, I realize that the OC voltage isn't a true indicator of capacity, but I've measured other batteries like this with positive results, the lower the voltage, the less charge they have left. And yes, the camera is putting them under load and monitoring them for their capacity, and one might surmise from that that the capacity, according to the camera, is nearly exhausted.

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

NiMH batteries have horrible self discharge, I've seen batteries have practically no charge after only a few months. Open circuit testing of NiMH batteries is useless. I've seen one fully charged battery from one manufacturer have a voltage almost the same as one almost fully discharged from another. You MUST put them under load to make ANY sort of judgement as to their remaining capacity. There is no other option.

Whether this has "worked" for you before or not is irrelevant.

wrote

Reply to
repatch

check the volts with a load on it.