Strange digital camera problem

I have a Fuji Finepix A345 that has developed an strange attachment to a set of batteries and will not turn on with any others . Hopingh somebody has an explanation. The background is the camera uses 2 AA batteries and ran fine for years with Alkaline batteries . A while ago I got some rechargeable Energizer 2500 mah NIMH batteries and things continued to run fine ( put batteries in camera works). At some point I got some Empire Scientific 2500 mah NIMH batteries and that's when the attachment began. The camera works with two of the Empire batteries and no others ( not even the second set of Empire batteries) I've tried dozens of other batteries and even made a store clerk open three new packages of Alkaline batteries before I convinced myself that this was happening. Seems only these batteries will turn on the camera. I've measured them and they are 1.28 and 1.32 V and new 1.5V batteries will not turn the camera on. What I did see once however is the camera would come on but only while the power button was being pressed in . I'm interested in ant theories as this has me baffled Thanks in Advance Bob

Reply to
bob

A common thing that can happen in some devices, is that the battery contacts may have been bent slightly out of position from using a different type of batteries. See if you can pull the contacts more forward to have a better position. I have seen this before on various devices.

I am assuming that you load tested the new batteries by trying them in a flashlight or something to make sure that they are okay.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

Second JANA's advice: Some cells, especially rechargables, have slightly out-of-spec positive cap sizes and shapes. These can bend the contacts in the camera such that only an identical cell is capable of touching the contacts. On top of that, Fuji cameras tend to have cleverly designed contacts in the camera shaped to try preventing reverse-polarity accidents; these can be especially vulnerable to slightly-taller cells.

Reply to
webpa

Hi...

I'm going to third that, if there even is such a thing... :)

But... I'd consider wasting a few minutes or so on a bit of an experiment - I'd get ahold of a new pencil eraser and try buffing up the camera contacts with it. Perhaps also a few of the batteries.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel