bombproof RS485 chips?

Hi all,

I'm working a project where I've got several RS485 nodes cabled together in about as hostile environment as I can imagine. High powered vacuum pumps, high current stepper motors, high static discharge possibilities, etc. Can anyone suggest an 8 pin part that is REALLY bombproof to static and CMI? I know that the TI 75176B is right out, but who is in?

thanks, DLC

* Dennis Clark         dlc@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003 *
Dennis Clark

Usually in the very hostile environments just selecting a right RS485 IC is the usually the solution. TO be able to survive in very hostile environment you usually need external protection components that stop the spikes and surges so thay don't get to the receiver IC. And then you don't that magic IC.

I work for a company that makes products that are used in quite hostile environment (near high power high voltage switcgear and power transformers). In those environments no single receiver IC is anough, you need external protection components.

For example Maxim seems to have quite a good selection of RS485 receivers and protection components.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/